SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonsai_moss

Miniature Landscape Project - MOSS and hardy plants on rock slab

bonsai_moss
19 years ago

{{gwi:594883}}

In the picture above, I assembled lava rocks, some local quarry rocks, about 9 types of local hardy tight/compact mosses, miniature wildflowers, clovers, grasses, all put together on a large piece of patio slate. It stands about 2 feet high, and 3 feet long.....Everything was collected from the wild here in zone 5 (except for the two small japanese junipers and some of the lava rocks). Everything has established itself nicely to the rocks and the colors of the mosses & rocks are amazing. The orange lichens were already established to the rocks I collected at my local rock quarry.

I only collect my material from areas that are in the process of being developed and bulldozed by the housing boom that seems to never stop in the area. So, everything you see was saved from the wild.

The picture above doesn't do justice...... it looks amazing in person. I mist it 2x every day with either mineral or distilled water (not with tap water because of the chlorine in the water supply). I have some close-up pictures I will try to upload later. My favorites are the tiny clumps of the lush green compact moss. I wanted to add some miniature ferns, but I didn't want to over-crowd it..... I want to keep my miniature landscapes as natural looking as possible. In my next mini landscape I'll use some ferns.

I would love nothing more than to design these miniature landscapes for a living. The only problem is that I wouldn't dare mail something like this. My dream would be to open a small retail shop.

Thanks in advance for any comments, advise, suggestions, or questions.

- David in zone 5 b

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz