SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stevation

Long, narrow flowerbed ideas for next summer

16 years ago

I posted about this on the landscape design forum, but most of them just wanted to move my boulders and rearrange the hardscape stuff. I really just wanted some plant selection advice. I've decided that it's mostly annuals I need, so can you folks offer some good ideas?

I have a long, narrow flowerbed between my backyard lawn and a row of boulders that form a retaining wall for a slightly uphill area. This flowerbed curves around two sides of the lawn, and is probably about 70' long. It's only about 2' wide.

Here's a photo from last June, showing just a portion of it:

{{gwi:25779}}

The photo is in early morning, but this area gets full sun for the rest of the day. The trees are all on the east and north sides of the bed.

It has gotten too eclectic as perennials and some annuals have reseeded. Plus, my limited skills in selection of colors and plant forms have created too much contrast, with a lot of yellows and purples and too many tall flowers that flop over.

My wife wants something with more consistent color through the summer and with a more harmonious color theme. She also wants shorter flowers that don't flop so much or hide the boulders. I'm thinking of putting in more annuals to create a longer bloom period, and she and I have agreed that we'd probably like more similar colors, like reds, pinks, and purples. I could use the existing lavenders and purple coneflowers and build around them. I could move the coneflowers around to make the design work better, but I think I'm afraid to dig up the lavenders, since they're so big.

Any ideas on how we can make this a WOW kind of flowerbed? I'm willing to put a lot of work into it, and we really want it to be something that people would notice and admire when they come in our backyard. And something that would really make us feel gratified as we sit on the back deck and look around. Thanks!

Comments (11)