SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cp25

Feedback needed for this wick-ed veggie set up

cp25
14 years ago

I have spent several hours reading on the container forum and have learned alot. I am not ready to make the Earthtainer yet. I would like to do a set up that is somewhat inspired from the earthtainer.

I am planning on growing tomatoes, cukes and zucchini in 5 gallon containers. I am planning on putting a wick starting about 1/2 way down and exiting out through the bottom. The wick material that I am planning to use is this:

{{gwi:17095}}

It is made of nylon. The containers will be raised on a wooden bench and the wick would hang down into an open bucket that would be filled with water. The bucket would be under the bench.

The reason I am using the wick to water is because it would be easier to water and I wont get the leaves of the tomatoes wet. Plus I don't have to worry about the mix drying up in out 35C summers. Also from reading the forums the wick seems to solve the issues of overwatering and retention.

Some questions:

A) Will the wick material work? I am concerned cause its nylon - not a natural material like cotton.

B) can someone please confirm that in order the get the wick working at the beginning, I have to soak the soil mix first.

C)If I am using the wick for watering do i need to make a second wick to drain the pwt? or is this non issue cause I am using a wick for watering in the first place?

D) Lets say that there is a pwt in my container. If the wick is in water (that is in my bucket) will the water from the pwt run into the bucket water? (this is sorta related to question C.

As I am growing veggies I will add dolomite lime to the mix.

I posted in another thread what my mix looks like. It is made of composted pine bark, sphagnum peat, and perlite. I am adding more perlite as per Al advice.

What my soil looks like (without the added perlite)

{{gwi:17097}}

BTW Can someone confirm that perlite retains water and slowly releases it.. much like turface will? It also good cause its porous so will help with aeration?

Some more questions.

Would it be helpful to cover the top of the soil with something to stop evaporation? If so, what type of material would you reccomend? Black garbage bags?

Do I need to worry about cooking the roots?

I think that every garden place I have been to sells tomatoes fertilizer. If I just use those (on my toms of course, not my cukes and zuc) will they be all I need?

Thanks in advance.

Y

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting