SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purrus

Need feedback on lighting for bathroom

purrus
7 years ago

Note: I also posted this query on Home Decorating and Lighting... apologies for cross-posting, but I wanted to get as many replies as possible, and there are parts of the issue that really are appropriate to all three forums.

Hi everyone,

OK, I've been racking my brains trying to find a light fixture for the ikea Godmorgon medicine cabinet. It is not recessed and sticks out about 5-6 inches from the wall. As a result, finding lighting to go above it that does not create a shadow is somewhat challenging. Google tells me that many others have suffered a similar quandary and found no decent solutions. (huge sigh.) Ikea does make two options, but I don't like either of them.

My style in this bathroom is quite modern overall. I am using white glossy subway on the walls with grey grout, and white 2-inch hex tile on the floors with grey grout. All chrome fixtures. I'm using the Ikea Godmorgon vanity also in glossy white:

I found a reno on GW that used the Talo Mini Artemide light above the Godmorgon vanity, which is where I got the idea. I trust GWers in general and know they put a lot of thought into things like this. It is expensive (at least to me), but lighting is important to me and I want to get this right.

(Here's the reno I found that uses this fixture above the godmorgon medicine cabinet: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2315694/finished-bathroom-sleek-and-modern-master-bath?n=52)

Link to fixture: http://www.ylighting.com/artemide-talo-21-mini-wall-light.html

From the looks of this reno, I think they built a soffit and attached the light to it. Right? This is not addressed in the reveal or any other threads I could find. Also the fixture is only 4 inches deep so they couldn't have accomplished this lighting feat any other way.

I am using a contractor for this and not DIYing, thank god, so I assume something like this would be within his skill set. However, I was hoping to use white subway tile across that whole wall, continued from the shower/tub stall, to make the room look bigger since it's only 5x8. Is there a way to build a soffit above the cabinets and still tile the whole wall without having it look strange or should I forget the whole idea and just paint if I have to build a soffit?

(To be clear, recessing this cabinet (or any other) is not an option due to the location of water pipes. I do need the storage of a medicine cabinet. Otherwise I'd just get a mirror and be done with it!!!)

Also, if I go with the Talo Mini Artemide fixture, my question is this: since I'm using all chrome on the bathroom fixtures, should I get the chrome finish ($80 more on an already expensive fixture) or should I just go with the brushed or the white? (And if I do go with one of those, which one?) I'm not looking for this fixture to be a feature, but to be streamlined and functional which is how all the reviews I've seen describe it.

Finally, will this likely be sufficient light for a small (5x8) bathroom, or should I add something else? These are only 8 inches wide, and my vanity is 24 inches wide; I could conceivably use two of these, but I'm not sure whether that would be overkill . I don't want a dark vanity--the whole point of building a soffit above these cabinets is making sure that I can see my face clearly. Each fixture comes with a 150W halogen bulb.

Here are the chrome and white options (again, Chrome is $80 more, and I'm having to have a #$@%ed soffit built...but I don't want to look back and wish I'd sprung for the chrome.)

Thanks in advance, everyone. I need to make this decision quickly, since my contractor will probably need to know whether to move the junction box for the light before he starts tiling, presumably... and I've been trying to figure this out for way too long.

Of course, it goes without saying that if someone knows of a far simpler solution that I haven't identified (not including recessing the medicine cabinet, or foregoing one altogether), please tell me!

Comments (29)

• badgergal
    7 years ago

I have seen this light in person and thought it was fabulous

It is made by Tech Lighting and comes in a 24" and a 48" width. The specs say that it has a depth of 5.5 inches so that should be enough projection past you medicine cabinets.

According to Tech, "The ultra-thin, modern Span bath vanity light from Tech Lighting is made possible through the use of edge-lit LED light guide technology. What appears to be a simple plate of frosted glass when off, then illuminates across the entire surface as if the light is coming out of thin air. 2' version includes 25 watt, 1215 delivered lumen; 4' version includes 50 watt, 2433 delivered lumen, 3000K LED module. Dimmable with low-voltage electronic dimmer. Mounts horizontally only. ADA compliant."Available Finishes: Chrome, Satin Nickel

The 2ft light runs $329.00 on most websites. I realize it's more money than the light you are considering but it is a more appropriate size (you won't have to buy two of them and it will provide much more light. I have seen it lit and it looks great. I hope to use it when I remodel my hall bath someday.

purrus thanked badgergal
  • purrus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks!! Is it a warm or a cool light? Also, the IKEA cabinet is about five inches deep, so it actually won't project much, unfortunately.

• Related Discussions

Choosing a new toilet for my son's bathroom. Need your feedback .

Q

Comments (4)
    We recently replaced our upstairs toilets with the Kohler Cimarron in the elongated bowl and comfort height and put two Kohlers in a little dressier style downstairs. We're happy with all four of them. I thought I remembered seeing TOT in the store but couldn't remember which store it was at. Looks like Home Depot has the Toto Drake in stock -- $292 for the elongated bowl in case that solves the return and parts issues, but I really don't think you'd go wrong with the Kohler, Toto or American Standard. That's not to knock Champion, I just don't know that I've ever had any experience with them or even heard much about them.
    ...See More

Need feedback on bathroom design - Tub, Vanity, Cabinet

Q

Comments (1)
    I suggest posting this in Bathrooms.
    ...See More

Need feedback on lighting for bathroom

Q

Comments (36)
    Revelation---I don't think there is a water pipe in the way. I looked after contractor left yesterday and it looks like supply lines are lower in the wall ( the whole wall is not gutted, just the lower part). I have this kohler cabinet in the garage, which I ordered awhile ago but had planned to teturn, and since I also just realized my ceilings upstairs are only 7.5 feet tall, I actually think the IKEA cabinet is too large for my space. So I am going to forevo the IKEA cabinet and attempt to return it assembled. Assumkng he can actually recess this cabinet it will give me a lot more leeway to choose a light fixture, though I still may go for that uber cool tech lighting one!
    ...See More

DIY Master Bathroom - Need Feedback

Q

Comments (23)
    It would be very helpful if you'd number your choices. Are you planning on ordering the vanity online? You'll be taking your chances on color. Any painted vanity will work with the floor. I like the vanity with the bar pulls going across the three drawer fronts. That is a cool modern look. I can't tell how much grain the wood has with the dark stain though. Does it come in a double sink? I would do that with a modern mirrored medicine cabinet for your small items, like these Robern medicine cabinets. Penny tile isn't a contemporary look per se. Neither is using an accent tile in the shower. I don't think that large format tile needs an accent tile. I'd pick a 2x2 square for the shower floor.
    ...See More
  • purrus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

And do you have a link??

• badgergal
    7 years ago

Purdue,

The light is LED and the specs say the light is 3,000k so it would be considered a more warm than cool light. It seems that most people prefer LED lights in that range than the 4,500k to 5,000k cool lights that often have a bluish cast to them.

If the 5.5 inch Span light does not have enough projection, how would the Talo-mini that you linked work when it is only 4" deep?

Below is the link to the Tech website page. They do not sell directly so you'd have to look at lighting stores on the web or locally. Good luck finding a light that works for you.

Tech Lighting Span light

• purrus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks!! To answer your question about the mini light, I would have to have a soffit built. I would rather not do that, for sure.

• kudzu9
    7 years ago

When I was looking for lighting fixtures for my bathroom, I found a lot of nice, acceptable fixtures. However, many of them did not put out sufficient light to be practical. They were beautiful accents, but would not give the minimum of light I felt I needed to light the bathroom adequately. My point is, before you fall in love with what you think is the right fixture, assess the wattage and if it will be adequate.

• homepro01
    7 years ago

Another option from Wega Bath light from Holtkoetter, it is not cheap but it has the same look as the Artemide. It is also LED and has a 6" progression. The links takes you to Lumens.com.

I personally like the Tech Lighting fixture. YOu should check the CRI and Kelvin ratings to determine how well the fixture would light your space. A minimum of 80CRI is required. The higher the CRI, the better the color rendering. 2700 to 3000K is considered warm lighting.

Good luck!

• purrus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm just not sure about the tech lighting fixture in my particular layout, which I am posting below. If I build a small soffit so that it sticks out even further, it's going to protrude even further into the room. It's already quite close to the shower and will possibly make the room feel even more cluttered because it is so wide. (I'm probably overthinking, yes?) The width is what is making me pause for a second. I'd still need a soffit for either, of course.

• purrus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Homepro, that is a really cool light! But wow, the specs I'd need/want would put me over $1000. Unfortunately way too much money for me. As it is, spending over $300 feels insane, and my spouse will likely keel over when he finds out.

• homepro01
    7 years ago

The tech lighting fixture fits wonderfully with the choices you have made. You know you are overthinking it but you have to do it!!! That is why you are on this forum. Try out the Techlighting fixture. I think it will go with all the choices you have made in your bathroom. For a 24" vanity, you would not need more than the 2lights from the Wega Bath light. What other lighting fixtures are you using in the bathroom for the bathtub and general lighting in the remainder of the room? I would vote against building a soffit for any reason at all. If you like the linear tube lighting, a few of these come with extensions to get you to the 5" depth that you need.

• purrus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

But but but... my vanity is 5.5 inches deep and cannot be recessed. There must be a soffit, or the light will not hit my face directly, and shadows will result. There are no other lights in the bathroom.

I'm sold on the tech lighting fixture--I do love it and the price is good for me (even though it's expensive in the context of what I usually spend on lighting). But I do need to bump it out a bit. Did you see the bath reveal I posted in my OP above? They had to build a soffit as well above the same kind of ikea medicine cabinets for the same reason. They are very deep and theirs also were not recessed. The lighting world just doesn't care to help out us non-recessed medicine cabinet folks. :)

• purrus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

(And i don't wear a lot of makeup, but I do need task lighting in the bathroom.)

• homepro01
    7 years ago

Purrus,

Don't do a soffit. With the tech lighting fixture, ask your electrician if he can put a piece of wood over the box to make the point where you mount the light fixture deeper. You just need about another 1". The techlighting fixture is 5.25" deep already.

You need more lighting in the bathroom. You need at least 2 other fixtures. One over the bathtub and another in the open space behind the vanity.

Consider these really cool looking surface mount fixtures from George Kovacs if you can't do recessed. They are wet rated for somewhere like the bathtub. I can't live without lighting in my shower. I am a vampire by nature but having light fixtures in the right places on dimmers is essential to me.

• purrus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

You don't think it needs to project further beyond the vanity??

• purrus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I mean the cabinet...

• mayflowers
    7 years ago

You'll always have shadows on your face from overhead lighting. You could add a hard-wired lighted make-up mirror with an extension arm and mount it to the right of the mirror.

My guest bath is 5 x 9 and I haven't felt the need for additional lighting beside the three-light over the vanity. My toilet and sink is switched from your layout so my light is farther away from the shower.

• homepro01
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

You don't need it to project much further than the medicine cabinet face. When you get the fixture, you can play with the placement and projection. The Tech Lighting fixture will be wall mounted so you just need to stub it from the wall a few inches at most.

My master bath is 8x8 and I have five light fixtures. Two side mounted light fixtures on the mirror, a fixture over the toilet, one in the shower and one in the general open space in the bathroom. Having the light fixtures makes cleaning the bathroom easy and I have zero shadows over my face. I personally don't wear makeup, too lazy to do it but I have had a makeup artist apply makeup at my home for events. They commented on how flattering the layered lighting was. My bathroom also has a small 24" window. Apart from my master bathroom, all other bathrooms in the house a similarly lit.

Good luck!

• purrus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh, I did neglect to mention that I have a small window in there too, that does help. It gets afternoon light--it's west facing. But in general, it's not an overly bright room.

I am also not sure that, given the price of this fixture, installation of many other fixtures are in the budget.

• purrus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

So I could just ask my contractor to use wood or something similar to make it jut out a bit more and then it wouldn't interrupt the tile job? And then paint the wood? Still sort of like a soffit, but less pronounced?

• kudzu9
    7 years ago

You need to have enough light from the fixture(s) that it's adequate at 6 am on a winter morning.

• homepro01
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Exactly Purrus. I also agree with Kudzu9. The fixtures I posted were $50 a piece. You just need two of them. Once you have well lit bathroom, you won't be able to understand how you lived without it. I love the lighting in my bathroom more in the Fall and Winter when we have limited amounts of daylight.

And just to confirm, you are getting the small Span fixture which is roughly 24" wide.

• purrus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

yes, the small one.

I just don't know what to do. I have ordered it now; I guess I'll see what it looks like when it comes in. I do feel like my other bathroom, which is much larger, is lit well enough with just one (very bright) light.

• purrus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

(Meaning, soffit vs. bumping out with small piece of wood; I have no idea how it will all look put together and how much light it will create when the whole bathroom is done, with white tile, the mirror is up, etc..)

• homepro01
    7 years ago

No problem!

• purrus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Well, I wanted an outlet put inside the IKEA cabinet. It's got a wooden back so I could do it with that one, not so much with others that have mirrored insides and I can't afford super high-end like Robern.

Though I was thinking today...what if I got a kohler medicine cabinet and then put an IKEA godmorgon cabinet over the toilet with an outlet in it? I had planned on a large train rack there for towel storage (and hand towels hanging down), but maybe this is how I get my hidden outlets. It would eliminate the problem of a light above the cabinet and the soffit and all that, for sure.

• homepro01
    7 years ago

Purrus,

Can you recess a medicine cabinet in your current configuration? If you can, you could consider an 8" deep medicine cabinet and that will just protrude about 4". These units are cavernous and can hold toilet paper and other bulky items easily. You may not need a second storage unit in the bathroom.

• purrus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I thought I couldn't recess a cabinet above the sink, but it turns out I can. I thought a pipe was in the way. Anyway, if I get a cabinet that deep, it will not solve my lighting problems--needing to find a fixture that juts out beyond it. Besides that, most of those super-deep cabinets are probably out of my price range.

I am, however, trying to figure how else I might plug in my H's razor and toothbrush since I am now going with a recessed Kohler cabinet that has a mirrored interior (so no outlet can be added--that was the whole point of my using the IKEa one, which I now realize is just too big for my space). I'm sort of considering just using it over the toilet instead... I wonder if the two mirrors, one over the toilet and one over the sink, would just be too much?? (They are next to each other, and they don't look alike--the Kohler is arched on the top and the bottom and is smaller and the IKEA one is really big and is square.)

• homepro01
    7 years ago

Would it be better to just get one cabinet with electric built in? The cost of a Kohler Medicine cabinet and the Ikea Cabinet should be pretty close to the Robern PLM series or a similar cabinet from Broan. Restoration Hardware also has medicine cabinets that have built in Electric in the $600 price range which is what the Robern is.

Good luck! Lots of tough choices.