SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paulns

Ordering seeds from near vs. far away

paulns
15 years ago

Does it matter where seed is grown - do you think seeds grown in a climate like your own do better than seed from far away, different climate, different 'terroir'?

I'm on the verge of ordering from the catalogues, which I've narrowed down to two, and as usual there's this choice. Needless to say not as many choices as in the USA.

Seed company A is 1200+ miles away in central Canada, wide variety, good price, good philosophy (all untreated seed, many open-pollinated and heirloom). But the year I tried them the seeds somehow didn't do as well as the ones we used to get from seed company B, even ones of the same variety.

Seed company B is only 200 miles away and the same maritime climate as us, wide variety, also good philosophy, and their seeds are really vigorous - it was our main choice for many years. But their prices have skyrocketed the past few years (coincidentally or not, their catalogue has become glossier during the same period and they've diversified into bulbs, perennials, shrubs, each with their own catalogue). I want to order from them but $3 for a small packet of bean seed is too much.

Comments (13)