SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
markdpelhamny

Al's mix, tomatoes in self-watering 5gal planters and fertilizer

markdpelhamny
16 years ago

First, this is a brilliant forum - very different in tone from the others I spend time on (cottage and potager).

I've read many postings from Al and went out today and bought huge bags of peat/perlite/bark (easily found for me all in one place on the first try, luckily). I started to mix but have two questions:

1) CRF = controlled release fertilizer (I had to read quite a few posts before that was clear). I bought some 14-14-14 granulated fertilizer that released over "four months". Is this appropriate for tomatoes in containers? I'm also planning to use some of the mix for flower planters - thoughts?

2) How well does the mix do with bottom-watering self-watering planters? I'm using two 5gal white buckets configured as described elsewhere in this forum with a bottom cup between the two buckets which brings the soil in contact with the water. The formula specifies 5:1:1 or 2 (bark:peat:perlite), and I chose to go with two parts perlite on the (uneducated) assumption that this will help with wicking up the water. Thoughts?

I'm starting my tomato plants from seed this year and expect to have quite a few extra seedlings - my gardening space if very limited, so I'm hoping to use containers on my patio (very sunny and sheltered). I have a mix of cherry, early, mid and late tomatoes - any insights on what grows well in this format would be appreciated. I just noticed that my early tomatoes, Polfasts, are determinate - is this good or bad for containers?

In addition to the homemade self-watering containers, I bought some very nice looking self-watering planters (a tub, two large pots and two hanging pots) from Gardeners Supply. I'm very excited about this - I love the look of containers but don't have ready water supply where I want them and I really hope the self-watering mechanism gives me good plants this year. Last year they got too dry too often and it showed.

Thanks,

Mark

Comments (9)