SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thesss_gw

Help with House Plants: Repot? Pot-Up?

thesss
13 years ago

Hi, I have a few (uhm, maybe many) questions about my house plants...

A few photos of my house plants that might need repotting or potting-up: http://green.ramblinggypsy.com (link also at the bottom of this posting).

Any advice would help. If I do need to repot, I'm planning to use AL's gritty mix on my next round of repots/pot-ups.

These plants are situated next to a SW-facing window: a rubber plant(a sad one), 2 peace lilies, and a croton(Codiaeum)...

The rubber plant is over seven years old. I made a mistake of bringing the plant outdoors and several of its stems died. I'm guessing from either sun-shock, it was too cold, or the black squirrel who kept visiting us then. I was able to keep only one stem, and resurrect another one a year later. However, if you noticed, there are only two skinny stems on one side of the pot :( -- one of them I pruned last week. The roots are pretty thick and have circled the pot. The last time I repot the plant was 3 years ago (could be more than). The taller stem stands 3ft, the shorter is 2ft tall. There is a 1ft new growth at the bottom of the 2ft stem and a newer and shorter growth at the bottom of the 3ft stem. I'm afraid to repot the plant because I feel like I might just kill it if I touch the roots. Any thoughts?

The peace lilies (about five years old, first purchased in 3-in pots) seem to be doing fine although I have noticed leaf burn lately. I've read in one of the threads that it was probably because the the salt in water. I have recently started using purified/distilled water. I think both are crowding the pots. Last time they were moved was 2 years ago when I potted up from slightly smaller pots to 9-in ones. One is a little over 3ft, the other about 2.5ft. The stems are skinny, leaves are fairly big. I think they are standard types. If I want to maintain the same-sized pots, should I split or just repot?

The croton is about a year old and was just repotted about a month ago but I think it's getting quite crowded again. There are two main stems. I'm not sure if I should split it in smaller or same-sized pots?

A variegated schefflera and dieffenbachia are situated next to the staircase, with minimal light from the SW windows:

The VarSchefflera is five years old and I brought it in from the office when it started getting pretty big. There is a new stem (about a foot tall) and I'm wondering if I should move it to a different pot?

I fertilize house plants usually every 2 weeks or a month with MG Liquid Houseplant Food (8-7-6).

Good? Bad? Keep? Change?

Would appreciate your thoughts and advice on these q's.

p.s. not sure how to check height correctly but I measured from when it sprouts out of the soil

Here is a link that might be useful: House Plants

Comments (46)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting