SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
krdress

Fiddle Leaf Fig- repotting or potting up?

krdress
6 years ago

I am new to Houzz and I have really been enjoying all of the good advice on the gardening forums. I'm not new to gardening, but I am not very knowledgeable. I mostly just followed my mom around as a kid in her garden. Anyway!
I was just given a FLF for my birthday in early July and I am thinking it needs to be repotted? The root system is swirling around the top parts of the container. I have been reading on here that there are two options: potting up, and repotting. I'm not sure which, and how to tell when to do them? In my understanding, potting up is simply taking the plant and putting it in a bigger container, adding more soil and calling it a day. Whereas repotting is actually removing the soil carefully from the root system and putting it all in new soil? I may be way off here?!??
I have also read comments from Al (tapla) and others regarding a "gritty mix" and a fertilizer in a specific ratio that is really good for FLF's. I can't seem to find those threads now, but I would like to be sure on those before I start any repotting/potting up adventures. What are these soil mixes and fertilizers, and where can I get them?
Also (and hopefully lastly), I have the bush version, and I believe that it has two separate roots, but I can't be sure yet. I am thinking that I might like to separate them so that I can grow them into trees. If I go to repot the plant, how easily should the roots detangle from each other if they are two separate roots? Is it a relatively simple pull apart process, or does it require any particular steps?
thanks in advance!
Kristin
p.s. I live in southeast Michigan

Comments (32)