SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

adding compost to container gardening soil mixture?

First off (this is preemptive) I've tried looking up threads using the search option about whether or not you can add compost to your soil mixture for container gardening. I didn't really find anything that answered my question which is 'can you add compost to container gardening soils or not'.

I know that with container gardening you basically have to use a soilless mixture for your soil. If the soil mixture is too heavy, it will wreck havoc on your plants.

It works wonders but my question is about fertilizing namely. I was told even if you use commercial fertilizer, but you don't amend your soil mixture with compost, you'll have problems with soil fertility. My question is the recipe doesn't specify to add compost to the soil mixture.

My concern is that if I add the compost it will make the soil mixture too heavy? I've found something called 'compost tea' which is essentially microbes for soil. Would this suffice as compost for container gardening?

Will adding compost in addition to a commercial fertilizer be over fertilizing? I'm only going to add compost if it's something that's necessary.

If so, how much would I need to add for the big batch of container gardening soil mixture listed below? Would I just measure it out and mix in along with the other ingredients when I first make my soil mixture, or is it something that would have to be applied at intervals?

The basic recipe I use for container gardening is listed below:

5 parts pine bark fines (partially composted fines are best)

1 part sphagnum peat (not reed or sedge peat please)

1-2 parts perlite

garden lime (or gypsum in some cases)

controlled release fertilizer (if preferred)

micro-nutrient powder, other continued source of micro-nutrients, or fertilizer with all nutrients - including minors

Big batch:

2-3 cu ft pine bark fines

5 gallons peat

5 gallons perlite

2 cups dolomitic (garden) lime (or gypsum in some cases)

2 cups CRF (if preferred)

1/2 cup micro-nutrient powder (or other source of the minors - provided in some fertilizers)

Small batch:

3 gallons pine bark

1/2 gallon peat

1/2 gallon perlite

4 tbsp lime (or gypsum in some cases)

1/4 cup CRF (if preferred)

micro-nutrient powder (or other source of the minors)

Comments (11)