SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dahlia_newbie

I'm new, and I might have goofed...

dahlia_newbie
15 years ago

I live just north of Houston, and had a 35-yr old oak tree fall into and destroy my front yard (among other things) during Hurricane Ike. It did so much damage in our most prominent front flower bed that we had to tear everything out (except the agapanthus, which just layed down, but look okay). No problem, I thought, I have a big bulb mix on the way, I'll just put all of them in there. So far, I planted 60 crocus bulbs, 2 ballerina irises, 3 stargazer lillies, 20 or so minnow daffodils.

Well, now what? The bulbs won't bloom until spring (hopefully, if the squirrels don't get them and armadillos don't dig them up). This is an oval bed, about 6'x 9'. I only planted the 24" around the front and side edges so far...any suggestions on what to do for fall/winter so I'm not staring at dirt till spring? I'm planning to put one Chinese Fringe Flower or Bottlebrush in the center, and some blackeyed susans and mums for fall color.

I'm in Texas, zone 9. Is there anything that I can mix in with the bulbs that will look ok now, won't interfere with the bulbs, and will die off in late winter? Maybe a seed of some kind that I can just rake into the top layer of soil and still get growth this time or year? Or anything that I can plant now that will bloom in the next month or so? I just wasn't thinking when I got started...

What about something that I can put in pots and line up to camo the area?

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville