SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
syntria

My 2014 Garden Prep and Vlog Goals

syntria
10 years ago

Hello friends!

Been using GardenWeb for about a year, and I've never found a place that could answer every one of my questions so quickly. You guys are fantastic. I'm an avid gamer and I have a sizable following on my game-related channels on YouTube but I'm ready to get serious about my gardening efforts this year and my current followers, well, are more interested in seeing me garden in Farming Simulator 2013 then real life gardening. So, absolutely shameless advertising of my YouTube at www.youtube.com/synfoods (Its not a business, just my personal blog/vlog).

For the past ten years, I've been restricted to rental houses and apartments and only container gardening. I've been successful with cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, kale, cantaloupe, and more in containers with drip systems and limited sun exposure. I'm also nursing some grape vines, lemon and lime trees as well in containers until spring comes around...

I've reached one of my life milestones this year. Buying a house. A house I can do what I want with, plant what I want, rip up the yard how I want. Its just...such an amazing feeling.

For the past month, I've been thinking about nothing but gardening, reading books, reading this forum, started my vlog as linked above, researching and drawing diagrams, and more.

Here's a list of my goals, in order of progression---any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. I know this is a broad subject.

Starting from Seeds - I have gone a little seed crazy, and I know that I'm being too ambitious. I have around 50 varieties of seeds from last year and this year, ranging from Tomatillos to Beets to Milkweed.

I'll be using a heatting pad, humidity dome, and 72 tray to get started today on Peppers, Tomatoes, Flowers (Butterfly/Bee attracting), Marigolds and Basil (for companion planting). Starting with Peppers and Tomatoes since they take the longest.

I have installed a growing 'room' out in my garage, which is still kind of cool. I have 2 T8 Bulbs putting out about 4200k lumien each. I hope it'll be sufficient in growing some solid starting plants.

In the spring, I want some root crops like parsnips, carrots, potatoes, onions, and beets and as it warms up tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, squash, beans, and a few other varieties. I'm also going to try to grow Kales/Lettuces on the north side of the house where they only get an hour of morning sun---being Texas, its going to get real hot real quick. I've had great success growing Kale from seed, but everytime I grow lettuce I fail miserably.

I've read various debates on raised bed materials, between new pressure treated wood and Cedar and since I can afford it I think I'm going to go with cedar.

I'll be building on a slight slope in the backyard, so instead of 4x4 I'm thinking 2x6 going adjacent to the slope so its easier to keep them level---create a stair sort of effect.

I'm thinking I want around 12-24 sq feet to work with in the spring, and add a little more in the summer. I want to start a compost pile with leaves, grass, food scraps. I've never composted before.

All this is to say, I feel like I have a family here. I don't know any of you by name, and I've only spoken to a few of you privately in emails.

I want to grow as a gardener along with my crops, I want to be a vegetable academic, I want to be as helpful and valuable to this community as you have been to me. I want to save seeds and use the seed exchange, I want to be able to answer some of those off the wall questions that get posted here as the years go on.

There's not exactly a question here, though any guidance or tips on starting my first true backyard garden would greatly be appreciated. I'll be documenting my journey along the way on YouTube, which I'm sure is to be full of failures as well as successes.

Thank you. :)
~ Syntria / Christina
Arlington, TX

Here is a link that might be useful: My New YT Vlog about Gardening

This post was edited by Syntria on Fri, Jan 17, 14 at 13:58

Comments (9)