SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
geezerfolks_sharon

July, 2014 Quilting/Sewing Goals

My only sewing goal this month is to finish the Indian Hatchet quilt and hem SIL's new jeans. I plan to head to the Chicago area on the 13th to visit with my sister and return the 21st.

Anyone have some July goals?

SharonG/FL

Comments (40)

• msmeow
    9 years ago

I am doing a thorough house cleaning today. (bleh) I think I'm almost finished!

It looks like those of us in FL and probably Rosa in GA may be in for a few days of tropical weather. We had a heck of a downpour in the middle of the day yesterday. DH turned up about 1:15 - I was surprised they worked that long, since it started raining at the house about 10 am.

I was thinking of making some more miniatures, then I thought I'd get out a couple of block sets and assemble them, but now I think I've decided to make a couple of small quilts for our bathroom. It's the only room in the house without a quilt! I have a really cute cat applique pattern that's 8 x15 or so. I think I'll make 2 in colors similar to our 2 spoiled rotten furballs.

Donna

• polardream
    9 years ago

Sew something!

Between traveling and having Mom and MIL here for 7 weeks, I didn't get anything done. We spent the last week doing major landscaping and will be puppy-sitting son's new puppy (she is 3months old now). I need to get in my sewing room and see what I have started, and then prioritize some projects. Guess that will be my goal!

Sue

• Related Discussions

April 2014 Quilting/Sewing Goals

Q

Comments (21)
    Theresa, How are your eyes doing now? Better I hope. Hope you girls that had your DH's birthday parties are rested up by now. :-) Oh boy, here it is the 16th already and I haven't even had that blue star top laid out for the border stars yet! I need to get on that ASAP! Yes, I did start another top...Chiclet. Here's a picture of one.....I'm not using white for a background fabric but purple/lavender (because that's what I have), and pulling from my stack of 2 1/2" squares. I have 9 made so far and will make as many as it takes to use up the background fabric. The 3 Lotto blocks have been made and mailed to Valarie and the Stash Attack QOV was bordered and sent off to be finished in California along with the Littlest Warrior quiltlet. Have also made the center part of the Wallhanging Challenge and am stuck about a border. Hoping Spring has finally sprung for everyone. SharonG/FL Here is a link that might be useful:
    ...See More

August 2014 Quilting/Sewing Goals

Q

Comments (18)
    I did get several of my July goals accomplished, although they were completed the first weekend in August. Goals for this month are: 1) Work on my nephew's red quilt. It's all cut. 2) Finish quilting my Baby Honu quilt. Bind. 3) Make the August lotto block. I missed July. Sorry Val and Kate. 4) Check with my LAQ to see if she has returned to quilting after surgery. If so, bring my husband's quilt to her. It has a Minky backing and is quite large. I don't think my FMQ skills are up to it yet, and he's looking for his quilt. 5) Decide whether or not to FMQ my niece's quilt. 6) Decide on which of my six quilts to start on next. I will need something fun to work on in between the tedious RED quilt for my nephew. 7) Try to not start FlamingO's Wheel of Fortune rainbow quilt until I have some of the other's completed. That's it for August.
    ...See More

December 2014 Quilting/Sewing Goals

Q

Comments (6)
    My biggest goal for this month is to clean my sewing room! It looks like a cyclone went through and fabric is everywhere. I am also still sorting boxes of "treasures" a friend gave me. His wife died about 5 years ago and he is finally sorting out her crafty stuff. Not much quilting stuff, but 2 large tubs full of cross stitch stuff. I am going to pass most of it along - it is amazing that one of the large tubs is almost full of the thread! Big bucks there. If I get time, I will try to sandwich a UFO, but cleaning is my only real goal! Sue
    ...See More

July, 2016 Quilting/Sewing Goals

Q

Comments (9)
    I need to finish up a baby quilt for my cousin's grandson who is due soon. It is on the frame now. The shower is the 16th, do I need to get that complete. I also want to go on a cutting spree. I tend to work better if I have everything cut up and sort of in kits so that I can just do a little at a time. I have a lot of red scraps, a friend getting married whose fiance loves red, and I have until November, so I think my cutting spree will include a bunch of red scraps. :) I am still working on putting Allietare together. It has become a leader/ender project, since it will go to my son and daughter in law for Christmas.
    ...See More
  • msmeow
    9 years ago

My first goal is finished! Hooray for small projects! LOL

I'm going to hang these in our bedroom and move a small quilt that is already there into the bathroom.

George and Penny:

Penny:

George:

On to the next project!

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cute, Donna! Our Princess Prissy is all black with a small patch of white on her neck. I think she's about to run out of lives, though. DH says she misses me. :-)

Finally was able to get a few sewing supplies and set up Julie's machine. The first thing I thought as I was trying to thread the needle is how spoiled I am with my own machines. But, it sews, loudly, but it sews, so my plan is to work on hemming a couple pair of jeans today.

SharonG/FL

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Donna, those are super cute.
    While I should be doing some more cleaning (having company on Monday and one of my friends is oh-so into cleaning), I was having withdrawal pains, so I started a lap sized quilt using a 30's jelly roll.
    So between washing cupboard doors, I will stitch up a block or two.
    Rest of the month will be iffy, with our anniversary Open House on the 20th. Children coming from Australia and France and several points in Canada. They have not all been together since our 50th, ten years ago. So getting set for lots of stories and laughs. Oh yes, and eating!
    Theresa

• lindaoh_gw
    9 years ago

My July goals are to pack and move this month. I did get a little sewing in this week but that may be the last I do until we are moved.
    I also finished a baby quilt for my youngest grandson.

Here is a link that might be useful: June and July BOMs

• lindaoh_gw
    9 years ago

This is Ezra's quilt. He is 3 months old and a very sweet and talkative baby. He smiles and coos all the time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hunter's Star baby quilt

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Linda, love the Hunter's star! The row blocks are cute, too. :)

Theresa, congratulations on your 60th anniversary! Wow! It will be great having your whole family together, especially since some are so far away.

Donna

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

Donna they are adoreable. Love the sassy cats and the lively backgrounds.
    LindaB/CA

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

Great cats, Donna! I can hear the purr from here.

I think I have too many sewing goals for July, but it's a hot month here and not much fun being outside. Plus, Jim will be traveling so that will give me some extra uninterrupted sewing time.

July goals:
    - Lotto blocks (July is done but I want to do August and the 3rd quarter paper piecing)
    - quilt two completed tops
    - finish my friend's wedding quilt
    - get started on the table runner surprise gift to go along with the wedding quilt
    - finish the family room wallhanging

• User
    9 years ago

Trying to get caught up on reading everyone's posts in between loads of laundry. Just got back from my week-long family vacation in Arkansas. My goals for this month are:

1. get more hand-quilting done on my parents' Card Tricks quilt
    2. make more blocks for my cousin's baby (boy) quilt

Happy 4th of July everyone!

Best to you and yours,
    Sandra

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

Wow...I'm tired just reading all of your goals! *confession: this is the first time I've actually read the 'Goals' thread* ...shame on me.
    July goals: I actually HAVE a couple - 1. lotto blocks - I just love them and I LOVE the colors this month, esp. and 2. FINISH a crib quilt I'm working on and get it mailed! and 3. become inspired and gather fabric for (yet another) crib quilt that will need to be finished by November

now...if I can just figure out what to do next: the small blocks are made for this little crib quilt - simple bow-tie/hour glass...not sure how to lay it out to sew the blocks together! *scratching head*

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Donna: George and Penny are adorable...now there's two kitty's that I could live with (aachhoo)!!

I started out this year with monthly goals and got side tracked so many times, that I now refrain from the monthly goal setting. At work...I get those monthly goals wrapped up...quilting...not so much! Too challenging to set goals on my fun time :-)

Theresa...congratulations and enjoy the party...should be a big one after 60 years! Post a pic of the celebration!

Linda... like your hunters star! Good luck with the move.

ok..one goal for July: finish my neice's quilt that I started, abandoned and restarted...top assembly this weekend....

V.

• beth7happy
    9 years ago

oh...btw...I just love those katz, ms.meowmeow.

• calliope
    9 years ago

Not setting the quiltilng bar too high this month since the garden is going gangbusters. I did the third hem on my puff quilt this a.m. and may do the last later today. That just leaves me my New Year Mystery Quilt top to bat and back and do a large, loose machine meander on. I can see myself getting that one done before August.

• loisflan
    9 years ago

Not too many goals this month.

1) I'd like to finish the top for my niece's wedding quilt.

2) Start quilting my Baby Honu quilt as soon as I get the turquoise thread that I ordered on-line. It seems that none of the LQSs carry machine quilting thread. Even Jo-Ann Fabrics didn't carry the type that was recommended for my machine. The shop at which I purchased the Tiara carries only a limited stock of colors.

3) July lotto block.

4) Maybe start cutting my nephew's RED quilt.

That's it, except I get to visit that sweet quilt shop in Ketchikan, Alaska, next week. Maybe I'll succumb to some of those indigenous-looking fabrics, although I have no idea what I'll do with them.

Donna, your cats are as cute as can be. And, Linda, I love your Hunter's Star quilt. It's so cuddly-looking.

Happy July, everyone.

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! Those little quilts were fun. I think my favorite part was adding a couple of touches to personalize them then picking the fabrics to use.

The borders and backings were 4 fat eighths left over from a kit. To me they didn't fit with the other fabrics so I replaced them from my stash. I'd been looking for somewhere to use those small pieces!

My Christmas mosaic is going together quickly. I may get the top finished this weekend!

Donna

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Linda, How you're managing to quilt/sew and packing up to move is beyond me! Good job all the way around!

Theresa, Enjoy having your family altogether and congratz on making it to 60 years!

The jeans have been hemmed.....why buy jeans that are 6" too long??? And I have the backing and batting for the quilt all ready to sandwich with glue. Not sure if anything will get done today as Great-grandson has 3 games today, but I think we're just going to the one at 1pm. Evening will bring us to the annual Fourth of July picnic and fireworks display that someone from DD's church always puts on.

SharonG/FL

• lindaoh_gw
    9 years ago

Sharon, I had to take time to sew. I was having withdrawal symptoms. lol
    We are planning to sign closing papers the end of next week then DD and her DH are coming back home to help us pack.
    I'm getting excited about setting up my new sewing room. It has a window facing the pond with a fountain that is across the street. I'll post pics after we close next week.
    Linda OH

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Finished sewing on the binding today. YEAAAA, met all two of my goals for the month! lol Will wash it tomorrow and give it to him tomorrow night. Then think about what to take to my sister's as we leave on Sunday. DD says it's a 3 hour trip. Here we gooooooo again! My sister says she's found a few fabric stores for us to check out.....should be fun. Between the 2 of us and our health, we should be able to get to a couple of them anyway.......No, No, No......I will not buy any fabric!!!! Well, maybe, if I find just the right shade of UCF blue and/or gold.......or, maybe if there are some good sales on bright fabrics, or,........ (heh heh heh)

SharonG/FL-IN

• calliope
    9 years ago

The puff quilt FINALLY got done two days ago and is folded, and waiting for winter. I think it's the heaviest quilt I have ever made, and I keep forgetting to weigh it. Could maybe be double dutied as a strait jacket. I'm lovin' it...........so simple but has a lot of tactile interest.

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Good job Calliope. Do you look at individual blocks and remember where that fabric came from or was used?
    I am very tired of cleaning so today I made the lotto blocks for October. The ones for July and August were done earlier.
    I will be glad when the party is over next week so I can go back to my "messy" housekeeping. But looking forward to seeing the children, some of whom have not been home for several years.
    Theresa

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Theresa, it's too bad they didn't plan the party somewhere else so you don't have to work so hard!

Love the puff quilt! It looks so snuggly.

Good work, Sharon! Enjoy your shopping with your sister. We'll be seeing my sister next month! I don't realize how much I miss her until I see her. :-)

Donna

• nannykins
    9 years ago

I don't want to give the impression that my house is a "tip". It is one of those moments where you say, " we really should paint the living room, or the wallpaper in the bathroom needs to be replaced, or the china cabinet could be reorganized". The kinds of things we say "We should"...and then put off.
    So this was the perfect opportunity to get'er done.
    But I think today will be a slow one so I have a top which I can finish up.
    Theresa

• User
    9 years ago

Calliope that's so pretty! Will try to read and catch up on everyone's posts later, fixing to go work on my parents' quilt - it has 10 rows of blocks and earlier in the week I finished row 8 - yay! Have already gotten some blocks done on rows 9 & 10 - so less than 20 blocks left to hand-quilt - yay! :-)

Best to you and yours,
    Sandra

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

On the road again....almost. Am packed and ready to leave the Chicago area. Have had a beautiful time with my sister and her family and plan to leave a little after 12 noon, their time. We hit quite a few yard sales on Friday, but it looked like the whole neighborhood had decided they weren't having any more kids because it was mostly baby items. Did find a couple of very cute dresses for 2 of my great-granddaughters. No fabric at all! Found a nice piece of Northcott at a church parking lot sale though and some good plaid kids shirts at the local Goodwill to cut up. Even DD bought some as she thinks she's going to make a quilt. LOL Her last one ended up being potholder size and I use it for a mug rug.. :-) But, I'm not about to discourage her. Right now, my sister and she are out somewhere looking for mushrooms.

Happy trails, everyone......

SharonG/FL-IN-IL

• calliope
    9 years ago

Finished the New Year Mystery Quilt yesterday..........four days to spare and met my goal of getting the last UFO done. Vacuumed in the sewing room today and it's all clean and tidy again, awaiting me when I wrap up the vegetable garden come fall, or when hot, hot weather hits when I take a noon break if I'm working outside.

• K8Orlando
    9 years ago

I've done a lot of sewing but haven't tackled all the things on my list.

July goals:
    - Lotto blocks (July is done but I want to do August and the 3rd quarter paper piecing) --- Did 2 for August but not the paper piecing yet.
    - quilt two completed tops --- one done
    - finish my friend's wedding quilt --- quilt done and at the long armer; still have to bind it when I get it back
    - get started on the table runner surprise gift to go along with the wedding quilt --- almost done!
    - finish the family room wallhanging ---haven't even touched this one
    - it wasn't on the list but I've completed the top for a large lap quilt I hadn't planned on making. it's sandwiched and ready for quilting.

Not a bad month!!!

I edited this post because I thought I hadn't done any lotto blocks for August. Looked everywhere but couldn't find them. Then Val told me I had already given them to her!!!

This post was edited by k8orlando on Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 13:36

• User
    9 years ago

I got all the 100 9-inch blocks of my parents' Card Tricks queen size quilt hand-quilted and I have the edges of the border hand-quilted. Now I just need to cut binding fabric and figure out how I am going to quilt the center of each border 6" wide strip. Did not get any more done on the baby quilt though, but not a bad month.

Best to you and yours,
    Sandra

• nannykins
    9 years ago

Calliope, love the New Year's mystery quilt. I am always amazed at how different fabrics/colour schemes make one pattern look so very different. Good job!
    Theresa

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Very pretty, Calliope!

I didn't really set much of a list, but this is what I've accomplished this month:

- made 2 small cat wall hangings
    - pieced Christmas mosaic top (70 x 70)
    - pieced and quilted donation quilt (56 x 60) - just needs hand sewing of binding
    - pieced birthday swap block top (60 x 72)
    - finished lacy crocheted scarf

Donna

• polardream
    9 years ago

WOW - where did the month disappear to? I sort of got things in order in my sewing room - then they got disorganized again!

I did get the July lotto blocks done and mailed. I quilted one UFO and need to put the binding on. I started my "Chinese exchange" project for the Camp Cheerio retreat (got you wondering now, don't I????) and am considering doing the camp challenge.

I also bought denim to make 15+ vests and 5 aprons for our Lions club. I made 4 patterns and sewed the first vest and it turned out the way it was supposed to! YAHOO.

We will see what else I can accomplish in the next two days.

Sue

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Calliope...Nice quilts for July....you and Kate were busy..

I mentioned I only wanted to finish my nieces quilt...well,even with two days left In the month...it won't be finished :-(... That what happens when you make one top...hate it and start another! The new top is sandwiched and I've been practicing the quilt design. I purchased the quilting thread, so I'm ready to quilt away this weekend! Guess this makes it an august goal.
    V.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looks like everyone was on a roll this month!!! We ROCK!!

I did something this month I've never done before. I met this nice lady and I hope y'all will get to meet her, too. I'm trying to talk her into going to retreat as I'm pretty sure she would love it.

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Is she a secret person...kinda like a mystery block...do tell?!?

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Meet forum member Bev2009. She is sooooo much fun!! Says she's usually quiet when meeting someone for the first time, but you couldn't prove it by me. lol She made the wall hanging in the background and showed me a few things she's working on. She showed us her backyard which is full of all kinds of garden flowers and plants (was on the local garden tour this summer) and fed us fruit salad and cookies with iced tea. (of course you know, I'm the short one and she's the young one) It seemed like she and my daughter, Wendy, could have been twins in another lifetime or bosom buddies from way back. :-)

SharonG/FL-IN

• User
    9 years ago

Well it's good to get a visual and see you both.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• quiltnhen
    9 years ago

It's great seeing faces that attach to forum names.

Looks like you had a wonderful time.

LindaB/CA

• bev2009
    9 years ago

Sharon, her DD and DGD and I had a wonderful time meeting and getting to know each other. There was a whole lottta laughter going on. Her DGD is adorable and actually knows how to talk to adults. You'd never guess she was a teenager. I love it when you get to meet kindred spirits.

Actually, I was the chairman for the garden walk this year. My garden was not on it. I'm going to chair again next year and have been very busy trying to find gardens while the gardens still look nice. Hard to judge a garden with 2' of snow. That's one of the reasons I haven't been on much since Spring and I'm working a little more lately, and I've gotten back into reading. So much to do,,,,so little time.

But I would love to go to camp some year...Sharon did convince me of that.

• littlehelen_gw
    9 years ago

Nice to place a face with a name....so happy that mystery is cleared up! Sounds like you had a super visit!
    V.