SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilion

Measuring Questions for Al's Mix

lilion
15 years ago

Right off the bat, I apologize if these are stupid questions. Please know I've never tried to "make my own" but always just bought container soil so I didn't have to know this stuff. By Saturday I'll have my bark, peat and perlite. Now I'm trying to figure out the measurments.

I'm not sure what the package size is of the peat, but I know it comes in a compressed bale. Now I've never opened or worked with a bale of peat, but I know the compressed peat pellets get a LOT bigger when you wet them. Will that happen with the bale? Do I measure it out wet/expanded? And does the measurement on the package refer to expended or dry measure? I kind of need to know to know how much to buy.

I see that 1 cubic foot is 7.5 gallons (rounded). I have to get the bark in a bucket load (1/2 yard) which means I'll have about 13 1/2 feet or 101 1/4 GALLONS! Gosh that's a LOT of bark!!! Sorry...just did the math now and am typing/thinking out loud! LOL! Guess I'll be using it for mulch as well as for containers.

The "Big Batch" gives the bark in cubic feet. Since I don't know how to measure something in cubic feet, I think I'll have to use gallons...ie: five, 5-gal buckets bark to one, 5-gal bucket of peat/perlite.

But, if I make the small batch the instructions are:

Small batch:

3 gallons pine bark

1/2 gallon peat

1/2 gallon perlite

4 tbsp lime (or gypsum in some cases)

1/4 cup CRF (if preferred)

micro-nutrient powder (or other source of the minors)

What do you use to measure 1/2 gallon? Or for that matter, a gallon? This is the possibly stupid question part...is a wet gallon the same as a dry gallon? Would five milk jugs fill a five-gallon bucket? Can I just cut the top off a jug to use as a measuring tool? What I'm thinking is: a five gallon bucket of bark to a one gallon jug of peat/perlite.

In cooking, there is a difference between wet and dry cups you see, which is what's confusing me, although I suppose that could just be because on such a small scale as cooking proportions become more important. Still, on a large scale, the differences become more apparent.

I suspect you'll tell me to quit stressing and eyeball it, but since I had the expanded or dry peat question to ask...thought I'd just ask both!

Comments (8)