SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robinlmorris

Urgent Bark advice needed!

Robin Morris
10 years ago

Hello!
I am hoping to repot my citrus tomorrow (it was supposed to happen today, hence the urgent), but I can't decide what to do with my bark! So I am looking to the great wisdom of this forum for guidance :)

I recently bought a lot of 1/4 inch minus fir bark. I am planning to use it to make some gritty mix for my citrus trees. Also, because I can't find composted bark fines (other than redwood) anywhere, I am hoping to use some of the dust/fines from this to make some 5-1-1 mix for some self watering planters. I wish I could find the composted fines that were recommended, but this is what I can find, so I want to try to make it work the best I can.

I know from reading this forum that you are supposed to use 1/8-1/4 inch bark pieces in the gritty mix and 1/8 inch and smaller in the 5-1-1 (although composted), but I am still confused about what exactly I should/could do with the bark I have.

In the picture the top right is the leavings after putting the bark through the 1/8 inch screen; the top left is the leavings after putting what wouldn't go though the 1/8 inch screen through the 1/4 inch screen; and the bottom picture is what wouldn't go through the 1/4 inch screen (it is orange because it is in a HD orange bucket).

Most of the bark seems to be in the middle size category, but there are way more larger pieces than I had hoped (and more sapwood than I would like too).

The screens I have available to me are 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, and 1/2 inch.
Can I use the smallest size leavings in the 5-1-1? If so, should the middle size go in the gritty, or can I use it in the 5-1-1 as well?
Should I use the largest size in the gritty as is, or should I screen it with a 1/2 inch screen first?
The screening is a lot of work, so it would be nice not to have to screen all the bark though 2 screen, but I will if it is best for the plants.

Btw, thanks for all the great reads on this forum. It is fantastic that everybody shares all this wonderful info. And to whomever recommended going to The Container Store instead of building screens (I read it somewhere on this board), you are a genius!

Thanks,
Robin

Comments (10)