SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rakin_gw

Al's 5:1:1 or something else

rakin
10 years ago

Okay, This is my second question concerning container tomato and cucumber plants. I now need advice on potting medium. I am seeing a lot of you like the 5:1:1 mix, so I am very interested in this. However, I am very new to container plants and completely new to veggies. My questions are

1) How does a plant receive nutrients from this mix? Are you all using supplements for all the needs of the veggies?

2) I have some worm castings and Black Kow left over from my raised beds, can I use this in combination with the 5:1:1, and if so would this change any requirements? Or is this a bad idea? Perhaps just as top dressing?

3) I currently have the following items on hand: worm castings, Black Kow, pine bark fines, perlite, peat moss, epsoma's blood meal, lime, tomato tone, pea gravel, and osmocote. I'm open to purchasing any other items needed, but using just what I have, please give me your best combinations for container tomatoes and cucumbers.

I'm open to any and all suggestions. I'm just in the early learning phase for containers and want to get the best possible combination.

Comments (19)