SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zzzbonsaizzz

Chinese ELM winter care

zzzbonsaizzz
12 years ago

Hi Everyone! I am new to the bonsai hobby and need a little help about winter care

I bought a Brussels Chinese Elm about 2 and half months ago in October. (It is 5 years old) I have left it outside on my deck since it is an outdoor tree. I live in Chicago and winters in January and February are pretty extreme. I was wondering what is the best winter care for a Chinese elm bonsai in zone 5. I have heard many different strategies, such as putting it in a garage during those months and letting it go into dormancy. I have also heard that if I bring it indoors around Christmas time and put it in a sunny window it will grow "slightly" and remain green as it would in spring, because we have had about a month of cold temperatures already.

Can I bring it inside and put it in a sunny window for a couple months during extreme weather? I have already had it out there for a couple months in the cold...Or does it HAVE to drop all of its leaves and go through a full dormancy

Currently the tree is somewhat thinning out, has some brown leaves but still mostly green. Even has a few new buds growing on some of the branches, even this late in the year (DEC 15)

I have read so many different ideas/strategies about winter care for Chi Elms that I'm really not sure and need some expert advice. What would you do, or what's the best thing to do in this situation? Pretty much just trying to get it through our severe winter

Appreciate any feedback,

Jeff

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County