SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
utnvpa

Dormancy for specimen Chinese elm

utnvpa
15 years ago

I have an 80-y.o. specimen Chinese elm that I've had for six or eight years. Since it gets very cold/lot of snow here in the winter, I've been bringing the elm in generally when it first starts getting around freezing at night. I move it (I can hardly carry it) into my unfinished basement, where it stays a pretty constant 55 degrees, and water it lightly. It is near a fluorescent light table with six smaller evergreen bonsais and there (12 hrs on/off) is also a basement window there. It gets some light, but not a lot.

In years past, it has dropped MOST of it's leaves when moved in. Generally, but about February or March, it's putting out new growth on a limited basis with a lot of VERY LONG small branches with leaves. When I move it outside, I prune it and it's done fine.

I'm wondering if I should leave it outside for a couple weeks' good hard frosts before moving it inside, to force it into dormancy. That way, it would need less light and water and might be better for it. If I did that, would the 55 degree temperatures make it break dormancy again? If that is the case, would an unheated garage (cold enough in the winter that it killed a couple of cactus and bougainvillea last winter) be a better option? The garage has 2nd story living space over it so it seldom freezes, unless we go away for an extended period and turn down the heat upstairs.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor