SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonniet_gw

Phytophthera (wilt disease)

bonniet
16 years ago

I live near PHiladelphia. I have an awful time growing annuals here. Half of them seem susceptible to crown/stem rot, called "photophthera". I don't know what variety, but it makes the plants wilt suddenly and die. I was wondering if anyone knows annuals that are resistant to the disease. I know of a few: marigolds, geraniums, portulacas, and I think, impatiens. What about gazanias, salvia, zinnias, dianthus, alyssum, and others?

Two years ago, I ran across a site on the web that listed annuals that were resistant, some that were partially resistant, and some that had no resistant. But I forgot to bookmark it, and don't know where it is now. I've tried putting in "phytophthera"+annuals, or +flowers, etc, and get mostly stuff on soybeans, Rhododendrums, and trees.

Wave petunias are the worst and they are my favorite flowers in the garden. I can only grow them in hanging pots that are new, and with new, sterile potting soil.

Does anyone know which annual flowers are resistant, and which are not? Or know of a web site that lists them? I will call our county extension service on Monday and maybe they can tell me, but in case they don't know, does anyone out there know? I lived for many years in Georgia and Alabama and never had trouble with this disease. Is it relatively new to annuals in this country?

Thanks for anyone's help.

Comments (3)