SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
toronado3800

Uh oh, any ID on wilt disease on Cornus Controversa

It's been a rough year for trees on my street! First last year's drought and heat, then this year's tornado. Throw in what an extension agent said was verticillium wilt that killed a decade old acer palmatum and appears to be getting one of my neighbor's lilac's.

Now I know it is late summer and foliage problems are not the biggest concern. But I found bark discoloration and retained shriveled leaves up "high" in my 8 foot tall cornus controversa. Any ideas? I'm planning on calling the extension fella tomorrow but what else should I be looking for.

{{gwi:412155}}

{{gwi:412157}}

Oh, yes, I sterilized my cutting tool afterwards. Um, tree was a small mail order transplant several years back. Looks otherwise great except for maybe a 1/2 dozen leaves maybe towards the interior of the tree showing some fall color. Gets maybe 7 hours of sun planted on a west facing slope uphill from my septic a few dozen feet. Clay base soil, decent drainage there. Above average moisture most of this year until one dry patch a few weeks ago and I actually did water the area once for several hours with the sprinkler.

Comments (13)