SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eeaieeaioh

root-mass photos what do you think?

eeaieeaioh
10 years ago

Self-watering bucket Yr 2 Help

FYI, last year I chose to do the "single bucket" global bucket where the lid is used to make a platform that separates the reservoir from the soil instead of the usual two-bucket method. (A video describing this type of single self watering bucket can be found on YouTube.) So, what you are looking at here is a bucket turned upside-down, bottom-up. From the bottom of photo up you can see soil, then the white platform and wicking cup, and finally the roots that gathered in the bottom of the bucket.

Last year my garden did not do very well. My peppers did alright but all of my tomatoes failed miserably. The melons did even worse. I'm already working on solving two major problems (with the help of people on this forum: God bless your hearts.) I'm curios to know if anything can be determined by looking at these photos that I can learn from before this season begins.

Do you notice how the roots have grown down through the wicking cup, filling the resevoir? Is that normal? Oddly when the soil was broken up the center of the soil-mass was practically free of roots. It seems as though the roots stayed around the interior perimeter of the buckets and inside the resevoir. In my mind i envisioned it differently. I assumed all the soil would be a giant root-mass. What do you think about this?
Click in the photo for a closer look that is right-side up.
Thank you.

Comments (7)