SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaky_gw

Also have: Ugly zinnias (crazy flower scam?)

kaky
15 years ago

I've read cosmolover's posting and have similar issues. I was just contemplating a posting that asked whether zinnias were actually a really ugly plant and whether all those pretty pictures we see are really just a some crazy scam being perpetrated on gardeners.

I'm growing zinnias(WS'd) for the 2nd year (primarily for cut flowers), and had the same problems last year, but much later in the season.

I have ugly, brown, crispy, gnarly-stemmed plants that seem to still produce flowers. (Some plants become so crispy that they disintegrate.) The plants are in a bed I made specifically for the zinnias. It's basically a lasagna bed (also in its 2nd year), and I plant the little zinnia sprouts into a little scoop of fresh potting soil. I have put Miracle Grow on them once.

We are in a hot drought here in the South, so that doesn't help matters. (I do water some.) But we had more rain last year, and the plants were just as ugly by the end of the season.

A responder to cosmolover asked whether he or she left last year's dead plants in the bed. OK, I did. What does that mean?

I really love the pretty cut flowers, but I may give up on zinnias next year.

Can anyone help?

Comments (29)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES