SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
academy562

Please help w/ tulip & daffodil questions

academy562
18 years ago

This is our first spring in a new house and we are getting lots of interesting surprises! It would appear that someone gave the children of the house a bag of bulbs and said "Have fun!" I have tulips coming up in all kinds of odd places, mostly in the shade where they are desperately trying to bloom... most of the town's tulips are almost done and mine are still buds on twisty stems trying to reach the sunbeams! I'd like to move and consolidate them for more impact. I have been told I should wait until they die to dig them up. My question is, do you think they would do OK under a pine tree? It's the only sunny location in my front yard, where I'd like to have them. Half the grass around the pine grows well and the other half doesn't... if that makes a difference (I have been in rental property since 1988 so I am clueless here!).

My other question is about a bed of daffodils... It has tons of foliage but only put out I think 3 blossoms. Any suggestions for how to get a better turn out next year? A neighbor thought maybe they needed to be split? I'm not sure when anything was planted but in talking w/the neighbors it sounds like the last owners didn't do any planting until last spring before they put the house on the market. So my guess is they are fairly new bulbs.

Thanks so much! The tulips that have bloomed are gorgeous so I don't want to kill them all off! LOL! Any tips or tricks for moving bulbs would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (7)