SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
irun5k_gw

gritty mix bark size question (w/picture)

irun5k
12 years ago

Hello All,

Today I purchased a couple bags of pine bark fines. I have a question on what to use and what to exclude.

In the picture below, the top material is the bark that passed though 1/4" hardware cloth but did not pass though 1/8" hardware cloth. I think this is ideal, and it compares well with the material on the right (fir reptile bark) which is what I used for my first batch.

However.... a LOT of material is going to waste. The material at the bottom of the photo is the stuff that fell though 1/8" hardware cloth, which I then sifted though fiberglass insect screen to remove the super fine dust type stuff. Material of this size represents the largest percentage of what is in the bag. If you were me, would you be comfortable including this material with the material at the top of the photo to make the gritty mix, or would you discard it?

As an aside, nothing is actually being "discarded", I'll use this for mulch or something. A 2cf bag was under $3 so my biggest concern isn't cost but merely the amount of effort it will take to get such a small amount of usable product if I decide to only use the material at the top of the photo.

Thanks!!!

{{gwi:3452}}

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert