SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bunnygurl

Chopping bark for Gritty Mix

bunnygurl
8 years ago

I posted this over on the Container Gardening forum a few days ago and got no hit so I'm curious to see if someone over here has any suggestions. I don't have any fancy tools like a mulching lawnmower or things like that.

So after years of learning, contemplating and getting up the courage to attempt the gritty mix about a week or so ago I spent a day and a half searching the city for the materials I could use. I was having the hardest problem finding suitable sized bark. Alas I didn't find any (Reptibark is way too expensive here for what I would get versus how many plants I have) so I got the next best thing ("small" chips that aren't really that small and definitely not fines) remembering someone mentioning they use a blender to chop up their bark to a suitable size. Score. I have a blender. Sold. I made enough to switch over about 10 or so plants (I'm massively pregnant so I exhaust quickly).

Problem:

I attempted to make more today and I killed it...I killed the blender...the plastic attachments that hook into the blades and make them spin melted right off...I'm really frustrated and I don't want to have to buy a new blender every week 'cause they keep melting. If a blender can crush ice why can't it handle a little bit of bark which if I can rip in half with my bare hands is obviously softer?

So my question after my rant which felt pretty good:

Does anyone have any suggestions of a blender brand that won't melt or of something else entirely I can use to chop up the bark? I understand that I can remove bark from the gritty mix entirely but I have a massive bag of it and after spending so much time searching for bark it's going to be a big kick in the pants if I have to stare at it in my shed forever useless and wasting away. I hate waste.

Any and all help is much appreciated. I'm running out of time to get this done which makes it even more frustrating.

Comments (21)