SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jbclem

What to do after the s. calif. freeze?

17 years ago

Until last night I thought I lived in Zone 9b (25-30 deg min), Topanga Canyon near Los Angeles. With the upcoming freeze warning, 2 days ago I brought inside about 60 containers, mostly vegetables and things like cherimoya, banana, ferns.

Early this morning, when the temp hit 23 deg, I went out and brought in some more, lettuce, parsley, african daisy, rubber plant, and others and this batch had leaves that looked partially frozen(you could feel, almost see ice crystals).

The lettuce recovered nicely but are a bit droopy, as are some chard and brussels sprouts(left outside). I need to know if it would be helpful to water the plants with some warm water now, or best to wait and not water them for a while.

Incidentally, I had two thermometers reading 20 deg, and one at 18.5 deg. Pretty nasty for zone 9b!

Anyone interested in frost protection...I put a heavy black plastic construction garbage bag around a 4 ft banana, in a container, and burlap around the base of the plant, and plastic sun shade around the 15 gal container. I placed a min/max thermometer inside next to the banana trunk and the outside sensor was placed outside in the cold air. There was a 10 deg difference between inside and out. 18.5 outside the container, 28.5 inside. I think the banana may have been zapped by that, but that's quite a bit of frost protection for a plastic bag and worth trying for container growing in marginal zones.

jc

Comments (4)