SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fivepickles

Annuals for shade?

FivePickles
19 years ago

I'm working on a few areas in our new home this year that are pretty shady and I need some suggestions. I tend toward cool colors-purple, pink, blue and I like yellow as an accent but I am open to any suggestions.

1. We have a maple tree in our brick patio. It is surrounded by a square bench made of deck wood with square planters in each corner. The owners put a few impatiens in there last year before moving but it just didn't look too great. I want the planters to be overflowing so I am looking for ideas that include both upright and trailing plants. The patio is in the backyard which faces east so it gets a little morning sun. The western exposure is completely blocked by the house.

2. Just off the patio is another smaller maple tree. Same exposure. There is a bed with a brick border around it. The old owners had it topped with stone and NOTHING was planted in there. I have removed all of the stones (filled 3 32 gallon garbage cans) and am working in new soil and compost. The area is oval shaped and about 7 feet long and 5 feet wide. I plan on putting creeping phlox around the edges and am still working on my plans for other perennials but would like to add some annuals this year for color. Will also probably throw in some alyssum. I'd love to have a hydrangea bush-would it grow there?

I am having a creative block to any ideas for plants and combinations would be appreciated.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals