SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nas1234

Container Tomato Questions Re: cages

15 years ago

I have a couple of questions about my upcoming tomato container garden. The varieties that I have started from seed are Green Zebra, Brandywine, tomatillo verde, San Marzano, Oaxaca Pink, and Yellow Pear.

I've read in this forum that the minimum size container for tomatoes (small varieties) is 12" diameter, which is usually about 5 gallons. I thought that for these varieties something larger would be better, like 16" diameter. I used 20" (that were a little over 15 gallons volume) last year and they ended up being more than I needed, although I was growing mainly small, hybrid varieties.

This is where my question comes in: I was reading about making your own tomato cages from concrete reinforcing wire in the tomato forum, and they were recommending diameters from 20" to 30". Obviously that wouldn't work with a smaller container.

What is the ideal size container for the varieties I've started? And does anyone have experience making cages for container tomatoes? If so, what size did you buy/make? I used wood stakes last year, and the bottoms rotted in the soil by the time the summer was over, with over half breaking. I used bamboo sticks on the second crop, but they're kind of flimsy. I'm hoping cages will work better this year.

Comments (23)