SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emmers_m

24 Tomato Cages, 24 Tomatoes to choose from

emmers_m
10 years ago

It was rather a shock when I girded my loins for the weighty business of making my tomato draft picks for the coming season only to discover that I have precisely the number of tomato varieties as I do tomato cages to be filled.

Well, it's never quite that simple, of course - for one, I have three more varieties on order for my Joisey tomato trials, so I'm up to 27 contenders for 24 spots.

Also, I'm going to polyculture my tomatoes this year across three mixed species garden beds instead of just one bed to attempt to curtail the spread of foliage diseases between them. Because this gave me three groups of tomatoes, I was thinking this would give me an opportunity to do a controlled trial of two organic anti-fungal agents. (I've been spraying Serenade semi-religiously for the past few years but without a control I have no way to tell if its helping or if I'm wasting my time.) I was going to grow three plants each of four varieties to give me a head to head to head comparison of treatments vs. control.

That would cut my slots down to 16, four of which would be threepeated and six of which would go to my Jersey tomatoes.

So, what do you think? Plan A or Plan B? And which tomatoes get the nod in each plan?

Plan A - controlled trial; nominate 4 tomatoes for 3 spots each and 6 additional 1 spot varieties (6 spots go to Jersey tomatoes)

Plan B - randomized trial; nominate 18 tomatoes for 1 spot each (6 spots go to Jersey tomatoes) or rather, choose three tomatoes to leave out.

The Contenders

Anna Russian
Brandywine, Sudduths
Yorkbec
Cour di Bue
KBX
Black Prince
Jersey Giant
Lucky Cross
Rev. Morrow's Long Keeper
Vorlon
Cosmonaut Volkov
Sungold
Tropic
Delicious
Mule Team
Wes
Zogola
Crnkovic Yugoslavian
Momotaro
Colossal Red
Rosella Purple

Jersey tomatoes (already drafted)

Rutgers
Burpee's Quarter Century
JTD
Ramapo
Moreton
KC-146

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!