SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmqchdygg

Zinnias from seed (direct)- exactly HOW easy are they?

mmqchdygg
15 years ago

I am a die-hard winter-sower, and start everything but poppies using milk jugs and putting them outside starting in December/January.

I have probably 200+/- containers out there right now doing their thing. What I HAVEN'T done yet are my zinnias, which would be sown now in the grande scheme of Winter Sowing schedules. I have TONS of them that I'm planning on sowing, but I'm contemplating foregoing the containers and direct-sowing them. I've heard they are super easy to direct-sow.

So my question list goes something like this:
Are they ALL easy, or are there some (hybrids, or newbie kinds) that would benefit from a different kind of start? (I have everything under the sun from shorties to 36" ones, Pinwheels, Profusions, Highlights, C&C again, Dreamland, Benary's, Magellans, etc etc)

I'm in NH, where we tend to have decent spring weather (warm, cold, wet, dry...spring is just that- spring...sun, rain, no rain...sometimes more rain than we'd like, but no lack thereof, usually), so will I need to 'tend' direct sown seeds, or just let Ma Nature do her thing?

How concerned am I with these things moving/shifting after sowing, or getting eaten by birds? We pretty much don't have critters...just a lot of birds.

Can I just 'back-date' my sowing from last frost date going by the germination time on the packet? I know from Winter Sowing that they can keel with the slightest freeze, but since I have so many of them, and because I am putting them essentially 'everywhere' (using them as fillers, as well as mass plantings), I don't really have a way of covering them all, should we get a rogue frost.

Thoughts? THANKS!!!

Comments (5)