SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
keith_esq

Chinese Elm Problems: Coming out of dormancy or dying

Keith_esq
10 years ago

I saw all the great advice here and I was hoping for assistance. I have had a chinese elm small leaf variety for a little less than a year now. The tree started with a broken branch and pest problem that a soap solution seemed to work best. Also, the tree never became too used to being indoors despite being in a south-east window. The leaves would turn yellow and fall especially on extremely hot days (i�m in zone 9, Los Angeles). Needless to say the tree had a rough summer. Eventually as winter approached the leaves slowly all fell off. I thought it was just going into dormancy, as the leaf loss was only a yellowing then fall, rather than a dried death. I have recently repotted from the original (horrible) soil in anticipation of the spring, but it just doesn�t seem to be growing right. very few new buds have come, and many just quit after sprouting a few leaves with the tips drying out or looking slightly black. Also the very few new leaves appear to have tiny white speckles. The overall look of the tree doesn�t look like a normal winter dormancy, but it is certainly alive, as you can even see green in the branches without cutting. I really want this tree to survive! It cannot currently go outside, but gets a good amount of direct sunlight for roughly five hours. I have been religious about watering when appropriate and have done an incredible amount of research on that subject (I have a water meter and am sure to water when appropriate). I'm wondering if there may be something I can do, or otherwise if there is a systemic problem I must treat. I have attached a few pictures of the tree and the very few new sprouts.

Comments (8)

Sponsored