SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
virginiagardener

Need Assertive, Agressive, Tough... just plain mean plants

virginiagardener
15 years ago

We bought our house 2 years ago and I may have the worst clay soil in the state of Virginia The previous owner killed what was left of the soil with chemicals and before the house was built the land was a tobacco farm so there was not much to begin with. Add to that the effects of a couple of yearÂs drought. We are on spring water and couldnÂt water as much as we wanted to. Basically we concentrated on watering the new fruit trees and left the rest to go to crabgrass, which it promptly did. The best way to describe yard at the moment is a brick with some dead weeds and really tough grass clinging to it. Last summer even the crabgrass died leaving huge bald patches in the yard. I have one dump truck load of compost so IÂm not ready to give up yet but realistically I cannot improve the soil on a large enough scale to have an easy time gardening for years.

I am trying to get pregnant so IÂm afraid of using chemicals in the yard because it will be likely to get in the spring and into my water supply. I want a pretty yard but not at the risk of having the kid come out with three eyes or something. On top of that hubby and I have a busy schedule this year and do not have a lot of time for yard work so I need to find something that can:

1. Defeat crabgrass

2. Can live in clay soil that has not been improved.

3. Thrives on neglect.

4. Grows from seed ($$$ short due to other things the house needed so I canÂt buy plants)

IÂm not a complete novice and I know cannot just toss some seeds on the soil and pray they turn into a garden but think in terms of what a pregnant woman could manage and factor in the size of the yard (over 2 acres) and you will see why I am looking for "lazy gardenerÂs plants". Can anyone recommend some plants that will survive the neglect and abuse I am going to be heaping on them?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County