SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_47379135

Colorful, Tough Flowering Plants for Lazy N. Florida Guy?

User
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I moved to northern Florida last year, and I have pretty much annihilated my yard. We had some ornamental plants that couldn't tolerate frost, and I let them die because I did not want to be a nursemaid this winter. The house came with some anemic-looking roses, and I tore them out and burned them. I also have some low-level stuff in front of my hedges, and I want to plant something that looks better.

I would like to plant colorful perennials that are nearly as hard to kill as plastic plants. I don't want anything that looks tropical. I moved here from South Florida, and I want no part of anything that reminds me of that place. If I never see another banana or mango tree, it will be too soon.

I'm wondering what people can recommend.

I don't like scraggly plants with four feet of stalk and a few grubby blooms. I would like things I can keep under two feet high, and I would like reasonably dense blooms. I don't care if they die back in February, but I don't want anything that expires permanently and has to be replaced.

I have been looking at daylilies, sedum, and petunias. Will this stuff work? They will have automatic watering, but I won't be outside every day with a cart loaded with gardening tools and chemicals, trying to keep everything happy.

I have a crummy-looking flowering viney thing with orange blossoms covering a rail fence around my electrical transformer. I am thinking I should kill it and put in muscadine vines. This place is buried in wild muscadines that aren't fit to eat, so I expect better muscadines to do well.

The flowerbeds came with pine bark on them, and weeds penetrated it this year. I am adding more bark, on the assumption that this is what you do when your old bark isn't getting the job done. Hope someone will let me know if this is a stupid idea.

The sprinkler system only waters the beds. The yard gets nothing. Go figure. I want to replace the wasteful sprinkler heads (which also water weeds) with drip lines that hit the plants more directly. Good idea?

Comments (36)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus