SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dela115

Dining room dilemma What do I do?

dela115
9 years ago
What is this room missing? Do I keep buffet lamps? Too many projects at one time and don't know what to do.

Comments (500)

• marsharigby
    9 years ago
    Also the legs on the Ivy Park chair are lighter than your table and this chair comes unassembled so you will need to put it together.
    dela115 thanked marsharigby
  • bookofideas
    9 years ago
    Change chandelier, add area rug under table in color, keep mirror, put flower arrangement in white in table
  • Related Discussions

Help please: what do I put on dining room wall?

Q

Comments (83)
    Maybe I should have started a new thread for the "After" photos to make this easier. oh well :) loribee, gsciencechick, msrose: thank you! If others have further advice, I'm all ears. I said no to a rug, but I'm keeping my eyes open if one (that looks easily cleanable) really wants to come home with me. msrose: the floor is a pre-finished, handscraped hickory. With two big dogs, "rustic" was the only direction we were comfortable going with hardwood floors. The floors are from a small company called, "Lewis & Clark." (I think it's only available regionally.) Yes, the floor IS dark enough to show dust in direct lighting (same with my black countertop... I can't tell it is dusty until the sun is setting and the light hits it just right.) The floors show wet paw prints, when they dry, in any lighting! We have a patio cover that eliminates a lot of the direct lighting in our great room, so I rarely can see the floors are dusty. I would use lighter floors if the rooms had direct lighting all day!
    ...See More

How do I do the white picture frame molding in the dining room?

Q

Comments (12)
    THANK YOU vcheethi! It is a little hard to see the true creamy yellow and then the other 2 colors. But it really looks great IRL. The adjacent foyer is also the Belgian Waffle--upper color so it all ties together. Here are a couple more pics. We put an extra mirror( from our master bath) behind the glass shelves and then painted the side walls. I have some of my turned bowls in there. I love the reflection. I can also take more pics if it would help anyone. ajsmama: I think the stained wood would look great with the right paint colors. If you either stain another piece of wood to take "shopping" with you or take a piece of your molding that you pop off I bet you can find earthy colors that will really look good. FYI the Olympic Brand piants at Lowes have these great color family folders that I use. I get the paints made in BM but the color family folders are better than any other brand that I have found. What are the other colors in your den? Also since it is a den I think you can get away with a more rustic earthy look. PLease do post colors and wood color etc on another thread so we can all see. I think it would be great fun to see something less formal done in this way. c
    ...See More

Opening kitchen to dining room. What do I do about the floor?

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi, just wanted to give you a bit more hope. I just did an addition up over my garage which connected to my upper hallway. The floor guy did a great job of matching my original hardwoods in both wood and finish, and the color was a custom color that he had to recreate. We put a header across the doorway to avoid having to interlace and avoid having to refinish the old wood. I personally like the look of a header in the doorway. As for price, as I recall hardwood is about the same cost as a decent carpet (relevant for my FR but not your kitchen or DR, obviously) but I don't remember the price per square foot. Anita
    ...See More

design dilemma uneven wall? what do i do for curtain? shades? help!!

Q

Comments (2)
    I would do natural linen curtain panels for the slider and either the same for the dining window or use a roman blind or woven shades there. Half Priced Drapes has very good prices on curtains and they are very nice. just make sure to go high and wide to expose all of the glass.
    ...See More
  • dela115
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ok so my buffet is here and I love it. I move my vase and Sean statue . What do you think of it? I know I need to change my chairs to upholstery parson chairs.
  • retroearth
    9 years ago
    Nice. The buffet really changes the look. The height and volume of the plant and stand look good to me in that corner. Do you need to change your chairs? With all the shiny surfaces you have now, I kind of like the extra wood of the chairs as a counter balance. Can you take another photo back farther so we can see more of the table/chairs with the buffet.
  • Brandy Perkins
    9 years ago
    Your buffet is really pretty! I think the plant in the corner is competing with the light for some reason it seems a little too big. Maybe a pretty glass or crystal vase with pink peonies.
  • rlcatron
    9 years ago
    Wow! Beautiful! You have a winner! Your chandelier even gets a thumbs up from me with your new buffet in place! Now, I can hardly wait to see it with the upholstered chairs. As much as I love your shield back wood chairs, I think 4 not-too-high-backed off white upholstered chairs on the sides and your 2 wood arm chairs at the ends of the table would look really good. If you decided on all 6 chairs being upholstered, I'm now thinking all 6 need to be the same height.

Definitely, I would move the stand and planter. Nothing should be on either side of the buffet in the dining area. Let the buffet and mirror be the stars of the show!

I'm looking forward to hearing how your holiday guests react to the changes you've made!!!
  • marsharigby
    9 years ago
    Looks super. Lots of glam. Have you tried the lights on it? You need something on it that is not glass or shiny. Like the lights with a low ceramic bowl full of white mums. See the bowl of mums on the table posted way above that is just below the stripe Louis chair. That would be nice. And post a picture from the stairs in the living room to show the curio with it along with the table and chairs. A lot to get in.
  • dela115
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    How are these chairs?
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    i think the plant looks great. I see what they mean with the balance issue tho. and the buffet, fantastic, it really helped blend down the light fixture! seems much more in place. I also seem to like the table better now too. Wow this is great!
  • dela115
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here are two photos from stairs. One has a chair upholstery and the other as is now. The lamps I don't think
    Look well so I put them in the hallway on a console table.
  • retroearth
    9 years ago
    I think the more delicate silhouette of you current chairs (wood) compliment the mirrored buffet. I also like the look of their reflection in the buffet.
    dela115 thanked retroearth
  • lepstein
    9 years ago
    I personally like the plant better in this location than in the living room where I found it overbearing. I prefer the wood chairs to all upholstered because the backs tie in with the Sean statue. Their height is also fine, and I find that the chair that you show in your first two pictures is too short. If it is the same one as in the third picture, then it looks much better to have them just at the ends. I know you have been through a lot of angst with the chairs, but that is just my opinion. It is your home. The buffet is beautiful, by the way.
    dela115 thanked lepstein
  • belavista
    9 years ago
    Hi Dela, I could not resist and take a look at your progress. I knew I would love the buffet and it looks fabulous! With the mirror- just perfect.
    The chairs are hard to pick , so many combinations and styles. The upholstered chairs in the dining rooms are trendier now, but the old styles ( wood ) are surprisingly coming back as vintage. I also have similar chairs -wood - (Queen Anne) in my dining room and thought for a while that I will change them, for the fabric covered ones.
    Here is my reason why I have not done that yet. The dining room situated in the front of our French colonial home is only about 14 x 15 feet. This was the only room that could not be made larger during an extensive remodel. The room's small size is what is stopping me from making the room look more "filled", which I think the upholstered chairs will do.
    You too will have a lot of fabric chairs in a small area, what most people don't see in your pictures are your kitchen chairs in a very close proximity to the dining room.
    I love all the silver and mirror surfaces in your dining room with the dark wood.
    No matter what chairs you choose it already looks great.
    dela115 thanked belavista
  • marsharigby
    9 years ago
    This is exactly the view that we needed. I've been wanting to see the dining area and the kitchen island together as you have chairs in both. I like the upholstered chair and it works with the kitchen chairs. It would be a good choice. I'm just afraid that with all the white in the kitchen that all upholstered chairs would be too much, but with them being shorter they may be okay. However, I think what I like best is your wood chairs and then two taller chairs on the ends. Your buffet is tall as are the wood chairs and I think it needs the stronger taller end chairs to pull it all together.
    Your kitchen chairs are about the same height as the one upholstered dining chair. Why don't you try putting all of them around the table to give you a better feel for how it would look with all upholstered chairs. And then put a sheet over the wood end chairs with the wood chairs around the table so they are all tall and see how that feels. I think you need to play with it a little and see which way you like it.
    I don't know, I like the chair and I like the look of the third picture. You definitely need some upholstered chairs with the buffet. Dress the buffet and you have a professional photo shoot. Either way I think you will be okay. As it should be - It's how you feel about it and what makes you most excited.
  • dela115
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I agree the fabric chairs have to go back.they don't do it at all. I don't think I want to keep the wood chairs. need a little more of a statement chair. Thanks everyone for all the nice coments on my new buffet. I love it!!!
  • dela115
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Marsharigby you always have great suggestions. I will play with it and see what works best. Thanks!!
  • olliolli
    9 years ago
    I'd still try the planter to the right of the buffet...
    dela115 thanked olliolli
  • dela115
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    olliolli...i'll try it. I keep trying to get the right feeling in this space. Not sure thats why I keep posting for houzz friends suggestions. Thank you,
  • dela115
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Belavista...I have missed your help. I know the wood gives more of an open feeling so we are able to see the buffet but I think upholstered chairs will bring wrmth. My problem is finding the right one. I picked these up in Home goods and knew I could return so I gave it a try. Like fabric but cetainly not these. So the search continues.
  • dela115
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Marsharigby what are your thoughts. I like the fabric chairs in here.
  • belavista
    9 years ago
    Looking more closely at your kitchen chairs, they are sort of tapered in on the sides. I would try not to repeat the same look in the dining room. The one in the picture is tapered in also. I do understand that you want more of a "softness " in the dining room, especially because you do not want a rug. I also have dark hard wood floors but an oriental rug covers most of it. I think I would try taller chairs ( statement chairs) at each end. Maybe that is all you need?
    I am surprised that you can even deal with all this input and all the different tastes and opinions.
  • belavista
    9 years ago
    I just saw the picture with the kitchen chairs around it. I like it for the height.- good with the buffet. The only thing that gives me a pause is this. I think that you still want a "formal" dining room space. If that is so, then I would not choose chairs that look too similar to the kitchen chairs. As they will be back to back in that one area, the line between kitchen and dining room will be more blurred if the chairs are very similar.
    That is why I was suggesting to do the 2 taller chairs at the ends. Dela , I am no more sure about this than you are. I am trying to help you analyze the situation but at the end your decision will be the best!
    dela115 thanked belavista
  • rlcatron
    9 years ago
    I'm liking the idea of upholstered all around or 4 upholstered and the 2 wood arms chairs at the ends of the table. I believe the heights of the chairs borrowed from the kitchen bar is too short, as well as the ones you are returning to Home Goods. Also, I agree and had mentioned previously that the backs of the dining chairs shouldn't match the kitchen chairs. This photo posted by marsharigby a couple of weeks ago is a beautiful example for mixing styles for the transitional look you were seeking. The chairs, table, and all are in proportion. I think these streamlined chairs would be your best bet.
    dela115 thanked rlcatron
  • rlcatron
    9 years ago
    Please note the slightly curved interior of the chair back which softens the typical parsons style.
    dela115 thanked rlcatron
  • marsharigby
    9 years ago
    I think we are all in agreement on the chair you found - too short. And I was just going to post the picture above that rlcatron did. Your counter stools have a nice soft curve to them and they would look great with parsons chairs that have a softer look that isn't to straight and stiff. The one above has that curved back, silver nail heads and is 40" tall. Look at www.jossandmain.com and it is called Helga. I like it not only for the size and shape but the color is not white, its beige and that will help to separate the dining space from all the white in the kitchen and not make it a sea of white. That is my biggest problem with putting white upholstered chairs there. White chairs will make it too matchey matchey, boring and pull the dining area into the kitchen. You want to pull it into the living area. You definitely want it to be it's own space and not part of the kitchen and that is hard to do as it is right there next to it.
  • dela115
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    marsharigby...I searched for the chairs Helga and was not able to find the.
  • Janie Burton
    9 years ago
    Your traditional dining table and chairs are lovely. I see the chandelier and mirror over the buffet as being starkly contemporary. Consider replacing the lighting fixture with one that has a softer finish (not chrome) and a simple, but elegant style. Check out Restoration Hardware and Uttermost sites. A simple beveled edged mirror with a soft silver frame would be appropriate. I personally would use the pretty buffet lamps.
  • lepstein
    9 years ago
    What about soft patterned upholstered chairs at either end (I got some awhile ago at Home Sense) and the wood ones around the sides? The upholstered should be at least the same height as the wood if you do this (and possibly if you don't) and I wouldn't do the rivets. I think there would be too much upholstery if you do it around the whole table and also have it in the kitchen, especially if the colours and styles are similar.
    dela115 thanked lepstein
  • marsharigby
    9 years ago
    dela115 - the chairs are out at Joss & Main. They may get them in again. They are also at Wayfair called Liberty furniture, Ivy Park parsons chair. Wayfair has them listed as being 48" tall. That can't be right. Joss & Main lists them at 40". If you look at the picture they look to be no more than 10" above the table top. Most tables are 29" to 30". So you will need to verify it. If they are 48" that would be 18 " taller that the top of the table. That's crazy tall. And they are unassembled.
  • marsharigby
    9 years ago
    I was just on Overstock and they have the Liberty Ivy Park chairs for $142. each. and they list the height at 40"h 19 w 18 d.
  • PRO
    User
    8 years ago

When it comes down to it, you are the one that is living with it and you have to love it like you do the light and mirror. That's when you know it is right. All we can do is make suggestions and guide you to the right spot, but you have to love it. Don't just settle. If you aren't seeing it then keep looking. And like I said if you like those chairs the will work.

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

love the mirror and the pendant. the pendant is silver, though, and it looks like the two lamps have gold accents - what if you silver leaf the two lamps and maybe change the shades on them to something more modern - and just slipcover the chairs in off white. the look in the photos from inicol8 and dela115 show the contrast of the cream chairs with the darker wood table and buffet - beautiful! the rest of your home is bright - it's very pretty!

• dela115
    Original Author
    8 years ago

thanks for your input. believe it or not I am still working on the dining area. I moved the lamps to another place in my home and the urn is back in the living room. I took the 2 head chairs and placed them on each side of the buffet and love the look. It allows the buffet to get the attention it well deserves. So my next step is to find the chairs to compliment this area.

• Monique Wilson
    8 years ago

Della, I found these chairs from an earlier post from marsharigby. These would be perfect as they will not take up as much space as the bulkier fabric chairs I've seen posted. The combination of dark wood and light fabric would compliment your mirrored furniture. Perhaps you can find an upholstery shop that could work with your present chairs to make them look like this. Weigh out the cost difference and go with the best price. Ready made vs. upholstered chairs. What do you think?

• Monique Wilson
    8 years ago

You need some color in your dining room. I saw something in an earlier post. An interesting substantial blue bowl on the buffet and a bouquet on the dining table with blue and yellow flowers. Pick colors you like! I could not copy it to paste it for you. Go back and take a look!

• Monique Wilson
    8 years ago

Marsha rigby mentioned you don't want to try to match the chairs in the kitchen. If you go with the dark wood and white fabric chairs from marsha's earlier post it will separate the the dining room from the kitchen.

• Monique Wilson
    8 years ago

Also, I would move the plant stand or paint it white. Right now it makes the room look busy and you dont want the room to look cramped. BTW, I love the chandelier, mirror and buffet! Good job!

• dela115
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    The pedestal has been moved to another place in my home. I ordered these chairs and hope they look well around the table. Two chairs will be placed on each side of the buffet in hope that it is not hidden. I tried it with the wood chairs and loved the look.
  • PRO
    User
    8 years ago

the look is great! it really works. What are you thinking for the top of the console?

dela115 thanked User
  • PRO
    User
    8 years ago

my next thought, is ceiling to floor sheers on the windows white...

dela115 thanked User
  • PRO
    Sara Carte
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Buffet lamps are usually between 28" and 32". Though I really love the mirror, I feel your mirror is also a little large for the buffet. it should not be longer then the buffet and actually be several inches shorter then the length of the buffet. I would also recommend buying a rug, and a larger drum light to replace the light over the table.

• marsharigby
    8 years ago

It will look great dela115. Post a picture when you get the chairs.

• wendynovotny
    8 years ago

Hi dela,

I remembered your project from time to time, but figured you had enough of advice, that at some point seemed to be all over the place.

I could see now that you achieved the most important stuff, or whatever was left to do, most importantly the chairs. I love them and I am certain they will look great - placing the two by the side of the buffet is a good idea, not only the front of the buffet will show better, but it will elongate the whole side area, bringing the mirror more into proportion. Some people elaborated on the mirror size, I was not bothered by that.

Since I did not read all the new posts - is the table staying ? Going ?

It is hard to believe, that the last time I took a look at this thread - we were getting ready for the holidays....

I want to send you a picture of my oversized crystal chandelier in my dining room that I mentioned last year. Professional decorator may see it as too big for the room - but I love it and our guests do to. I bought it in Europe, so there was no turning back, but the dining room sparkles, during the holidays...

I did not replace my dining room chairs yet, have not looked actively, but just ordered a new double sink vanity for the master bedroom from Houzz.

Always good to have a project:)

• wendynovotny
    8 years ago

Hi dela,

Wendy is Belavista ...from last year ... thought this site would automatically use the Belavista name...

not a big deal ... just wanted you to remember Belavista:)

dela115 thanked wendynovotny
  • dela115
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Todays
  • dela115
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hello Wendy...So happy to hear from you. Please post the pictures I would love to see them. I had to sit back on the dining room as I was also redoing my kitchen which is completed and I absolutely love. I ordered the chairs on line and awaiting delivery. Hopefully they look the same as the picture and of good quality. I will post when I get them and you can give me your opinion if you dont mind.

• sheilaskb
    8 years ago

The furniture is beautiful, but I would suggest you place the china cabinet across the corner to add interest to the room. If you would add a white scarf with an overhanging lace edge to each shelf of the china cabinet, it would add softness and pattern to the room. I believe you need some larger crown molding for extra "punch" to the room. However, you can add a horizontal strip of trim about six inches below the current crown molding and paint the molding and the intervening wall space white for the same effect. The room does need warmth, and I believe you could paint the ceiling the same basic color as the walls, but three or four shades darker. The darker ceiling will be accented very well by the enlarged crown molding, and the effect will give the room character and charm. I believe the buffet lamps are OK. However, you might place matching chests to the left and right of the buffet and put a buffet lamp and a small green, leafy plant on each chest. In time, you might move the buffet lamps to a bedroom dresser and then get a larger version of the buffet lamps for the dining room.

dela115 thanked sheilaskb
  • anne Brook
    8 years ago

How big is your centre globe light ? Could you tell me how long your table is. We have bought a 102ft dining table and light the same but only 22.5 wide and are wondering before we build our house is one going to be enough or should we put 2 22.5 lights up there ?

• dela115
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My lighting is 28 wide. I have one leaf in dining table 102. Two lights should look good? I get so many complements on my lighting. It is manufactured by Crystalrama. Hope that helps.

• anne Brook
    8 years ago

Thank you Dela115