SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bhavini_tanna

Where to squeeze in the office space in the house??

B's Atelier
11 days ago

Hi all,

We are so thrilled to finally buy the home in the neighborhood and school district that we wanted but we knew we were short of one bedroom/den for home office as I work from home full-time and my husband, a couple of days a week. We thought we'll find a space anyhow but now it doesn't seem feasible unless we extend out into the backyard from the masterbed which is totally not in our budget for now. I'll attach that plan which my architect uncle drafted but I didn't want to eat into the swimming pool space that i am planning for the future. Btw, he hates this office layout I am creating and he feels its messing with the entire flow as if its an accidental addition. In my defense it could also act as a future wine/craft/sewing room but it is torturing him lol.

To get a general idea:

- our living room will house a Ping-Pong table and a carrom board with a seating of 4.

- current dining will be a music room for piano, drum set, guitar, etc.

- need all bedrooms for kids and guest room for occasional grandparent visits.

So, I came up with this layout and I know it is ridiculously tight (5'x9') but considering my loft space that I am working in 3'x4', I think I can make it work by amping the space inside and creating a window overlooking the zen garden I am creating at the entrance which will house a custom waterfall as well as real plants. Currently there are two coat closets so I am keeping one under the kitchen as coat closet but removing the triangular closet in the hallway going to the master bedroom. I am attaching the existing builder-grade plan, screenshot of the overall layout I am planning to do and the detail of the office considering someone might want to place an 8-person dining table in the future. If there are any other layouts that some of you could think of, I'll be so grateful!

In the screenshot, all the dotted walls are demo'ed so it'll be a clean corner (as shown in the existing photo). We're of course doing the entire flooring.

Kitchen island shapes will be another thread.

Thank you in advance!

Comments (32)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations