SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meems15

Bossy Contractor Dilemma and Modern Mouldings

Michelle NJ
13 days ago

Hi Houzzers!
We are finishing kitchen in my parents’ new super-modern A-Frame home. Aesthetic is very clean lines everywhere with some intentionally infused curves throughout. Designer is out of town but at 5pm today I noticed cabinet mouldings installed with overhang beyond footprint of cabinet. I’m not certain but shouldn’t they be flush with the footprint of cabinet for the most clean/modern feel? My very traditional and bossy contractor keeps moving ahead with fussy design choices (ex: shoe molding everywhere on beautiful new construction floors with flat floor moulding because he said “in 30 years I’ve never installed a wood floor without shoe moulding”. Insert Eyeroll here.) Do I stop everything in the morning and make them redo it so it’s flush? Also: I’m very concerned about dust—is there any way to somehow create soffit all the way to ceiling on the flat ceiling areas and then what to do at the vaulted areas? Just deal with dust? Please see pic1 for current kitchen pic. Pic2 is full pic of kitchen. Additional pics are moulding-inspo pics. Please advise. Thx! -Michelle

Comments (53)