SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

Is this 'tunnel' typical of a mice den sometimes found in planters?

Lynn Nevins
10 months ago
last modified: 10 months ago

Hey everyone. So I recently noticed some mice out on my balcony...something I'd never seen before. I got some humane traps, and between me and my neighbor below me (who also noticed mice on his own balcony, and once I gave him a heads up to be on the lookout...)...we caught about 10 mice over a week or so. Some were larger than others so we think we had some parents and their offspring. We released them all in the same spot in some woods a few miles away.We think we manages to catch them all as we've not had anymore.Anyway, I then noticed that some of my potted plants had some interesting holes...holes that didn't look like they came from my usual squirrel visitors. So to ensure I didn't have active 'mice dens' in these particular pots, I took the plants out of the pots...broke up the dirt, and then reported them. Thankfully no signs of mice, but check out these 'tunnels' (pix below) that was in a planter that had an already dead plant in it. I assume these had to have been made by the mice...that they had a den down in there? It might be hard to see in the pics but it was essentially a tunnel that wrapped around the edges of the planter, winding down towards the bottom of the pot.Has anyone else had a similar experience in any of their potted plants?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living