SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_67758530

Is it normal course for a designer/architect to withhold CAD?

User
2 years ago

I will keep it short to begin and can provide more detail as required. We hired a designer to help use draft/design a renovation to an old home we own. After about 6 months, and around $25,000 we submitted for development permit and to general contractors for quotes. Our budget to start was around $450,000 - and we agreed we indicated we could push it to about $600,000 in order to do an addition and a garage.

All three contractors provided quotes over over $1m - ranging from $1m to $1.4. The city indicated that the additions we wanted were not going to be approved due to lot coverage issues. At this point we had has a long process and with this person and we just wanted to move on and have someone else complete the design.

We asked her to send us all work we had paid for to date. She send a CAD file that was stripped of all layers, line weights etc. Essentially a line drawing with exterior measurements. She send the .pdfs for various facades, elevations etc. as well. She indicates she will not release the layered CAD to us.

My questions is how she thinks this is appropriate? If we were to continue with her she would presumably have to release the CAD to the builder at some point. Further, the drawings can not be used on ay other property given they are specific to this renovation and not a new build/in-fill.

This has occurred in Calgary, Alberta. If anyone has any advice or information that could help me make sense of how we are being treated (it feels like since we did not want to continue with her she is punishing us by making us have someone else recreate everything, not quite from scratch but close to.)

Comments (31)