SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
breliedtke

architect vs. design build

breliedtke
17 years ago

I am having the same problem as many of you: deciding whether to hire an architect and GC or go the design/build route. We are planning to add a large dormer to our second floor, create 3-4 BRs (including a master suite), move our existing (and not up to code) staircase, knock down some walls and make some cutouts between rooms. Because the second floor of our house is just raw space right now we will not have to demo it.

We have met with 2 very good and high end architects. They both want 15 % of the construction costs, which seems very high to me. I was expecting more like 10% and I would rather work with a flat fee. I live in Westchester County, New York and I am sure we are at the top of the price range for everything associated with construction.

My husband has actually completely designed the space. We only need help with placing the staircase. So, we basically have drawings that would have to be turned into formal plans. Because we have done so much of the work already, shouldn't this be saving us money?

We have no problem with being very involved with the construction process. Of course, I would LOVE to pay someone to handle all the details for me but we just can't afford that. So, we will be happy to roll our sleeves up.

Does it sound like we need an architect or do you think a designer could handle this? I am leaning towards design/build, simply because the architects want too much money. Is that silly?

Comments (5)