SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leslie1228

Don't Just Build BECAUSE.....

leslie1228
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Three years ago, I was in a house I hated. I owned the lot next door, and decided to build. ANYTHING would be better than what I was in! Showed CAD program on Houzz and many people said throw them away, get an architect, slow down. Did I, no. I'm here to advise anyone building to stop, look, and listen. I am impulsive, think I can do anything, and stubborn. Add stupid to the list. My friend said, no problem, I know construction, we can save TONS of money subbing it out. if it's 90% off I think I must buy it because it's such a deal. Don't apply that ridiculous thought process into "saving" money on a build. It will not be a happy ending. My designer friend from Atlanta said, stop, read those plans CAREFULLY. Did I, of course not.In my defense, very sheepishly, I was in an auto accident in 2014 that left me unable to walk.hence, anything would be better mentality. So, when people say check progress every day, I could not do that. I was like an internet dater that believed everyone was good, no credit checks for me! Hired Craig's list. NEVER hire Craig's list.i'm sure there are legit people on there, just not the ones I got. Never pay upfront for anything. Drywall redone 4 times and it still looks like ruffles potato chip corners. Failed electric inspection 4 times. who knows what lies behind my walls. The Amish framers did a great job, 2x6 framing, good insulation, but it spirals from there. Add that had I understood the room sizes and set up, or at least studied them I would not be in the same situation. So, it's done now. I'm in the new build. Things I like, 10 foot ceilings throughout. walk in master, lots of windows for lake view, two huge decks, radiant floor heating, paint colors.Built a dog bowl and water in wall with pot filler so I could fill his water without spilling. love my bamboo flooring. Somehow, I think I drained Sherwin Williams of samples. the small details I labored over, the planning and build, not at all. The build is 1900 sq. ft. down, 1100 up.i have two college aged children that still visit my sad self! Hence, media room up(way too small) two bedrooms up, mini kitchen and great room up, huge deck up. master down, laundry room down, spare bedroom down. each bedroom with full bath, powder room off living area. things I'm very ambivalent about, open concept though dining, kitchen, family room. part of me like it, part of me thinks it's sad satire of a legitimate "house"! Bowling alley with dining room, kitchen, family room on one side. garage entrance hall leads to spare bed, bath on left side. Utility room backs to laundry room in. middle of house. Did I have to have this set-up based upon mobility and narrow lot, to a degree. Do I hate my new build, no. It is a million times better than the old house next door. Things I dislike, but stuck with. Master closet off master bath too small to be named that, laundry room, too small. worst job in history of tiling for master bathroom, granite , walk in shower with caches and bench built in..Another Craig's list hire, overpaid thousands for awful tile job. Soaking tub, TRY them first. I couldn't and on the occasions I have help getting in, my feet open the bottom drain with any movement in the tub. Be sure and get an instant, which I surprising did, because those soakers take lots of time and water to fill. Foyer allows you to tunnel vision right down bowling alley layout for sight. That is one thing I can remedy, I'm closing the opening with French doors or something. Counter depth refrigerator. Even though it's mainly just me, no room for anything. The whole house has. been repainted every time we redo drywall, Sherwin Williams has even given me an additional discount, I have bought so much paint!Just some caution for those of you like me... hire legit professionals. Don't think you can do something that isn't in your wheelhouse of knowledge. Just posting to say that you are all such valuable resources, and for people considering builds, seriously heed this advice board. Coming from someone that like nike said, just do it. Well, maybe take a bit of time and legit expertise before you do just that!

Thanks for the vent forum, hopefully I help one person!

Leslie

Comments (28)