SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grace_smith012

Help for Kitchen Cabinet Doors

Grace Smith
5 years ago

We are building a home and cabinets were installed this past week. I’m still waiting for the cabinet that will sit on top of the countertop on the wall with the hood. It will be 35” wide with solid white pocket doors and a set of solid white doors above it.

I had our builder’s designer and also a designer I hired review the CADs for the design. However, now that they are installed I’m seeing problems.

Two kitchen cabinet companies did nearly identical drawings, and no one flagged varying glass cabinet door sizes as weird.

* Shouldn’t glass doors have matched (or closely) other glass doors so that there aren’t three different shapes/sizes?

* Should all the other doors have been more consistently sized?

* The cabinet maker has the doors over the pantry room (swing-in doors) and refrigerator not lining up with the lower ones. I have already asked him to fix this. His solution since he says he can’t remove the upper cabinet is to add filler on the face frame to match the filler piece between the doors below. He says he has epoxy (or something like that) to fill the gaps and they will spray paint on site.

* I’ve asked him to make all the doors on the wall by the refrigerator to be solid doors — no glass.

* If the upper doors by the ceiling on the wall with the refrigerator were removed and they were open cabinets with baskets and/or white pottery would that be any better? I can add pick lights, but I am not sure if open cabinets would just amplify the awkwardness and look too busy. Then I’d have three different cabinet faces — glass, white wood and open — which could be too busy.

* Should I have had the four skinny doors made into a three-door configuration? He can add two doors instead but wouldn’t they then look too big and swing out too far? I plan to use this cabinet space for serving beverages. If he removes and remakes that upper cabinet with four doors it would be expensive. I may need to hire a different cabinet maker to redo that cabinet in case he’s not willing.

* Besides making these upper cabinets solid wood and only glass for the two doors next to the hood, is there anything I should have redone? It’s going to be costly but maybe it would be worth it. Or should I just move on and let it go.

Will just getting doors to line up and making them solid be sufficient? I’m fretting about this since the kitchen is the key feature of our open floor plan. How could everyone miss this on a CAD — me included? I will say that the CAD disguises the inconsistencies. (Maybe we all look better in a sketch and 3D rendition...lol). Lesson learned: don’t trust the CADs too much but look at kitchens in person and measure doors and drawers to get a better sense of the design.

P.S. Distance between refrigerator handles and island is 45”. Would have liked more space for counter depth refrigerator but too late now. My neighbor has 43” and it looks just fine.

* The doorway is going to be framed to be 38” wide. Currently I think it’s at 40” without casing. The upper door trim will die into the filler piece between cabinet and wall.

* Update to previous post about crown molding mishap: GC has offered to have a custom crown molding made to have same profile as house crown but smaller so it fits cabinets. (Means having two different crown moldings in space. Redoing all house crown would be very costly and expansive and wouldn’t it ruin the drywall?

I’m hoping that decor, good food and conversation will make up for this awkwardness, but I’m also prepared to make modifications where I can that won’t impact countertops, which have been templated but not yet okay’d for fabrication.

Thank you!

Comments (9)