SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeweledangel

Kitchen Layout Review

Stacy Lawrence
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

House is 2-story 3,200 sf with a semi-view and pool. I would call it traditional, built in 1994 so it has some funky things like a couple octagon windows and odd angles. Overall, the layout is great and we just gutted and framed the kitchen. I don't have a CAD layout or pictures of it to the studs.

Attached is a first draft layout, the inspiration kitchen (in terms of looks) and a photo of the original kitchen. Ceilings are 9 feet high; we closed up the entry to the right in the photo; widened the entry to the dining room and are replacing an exterior kitchen window with a slider to access the backyard more easily.

The peninsula is also gone and the sink will be moved to the wall (due to post tension slab, the island is not an option). While not ideal, there are many designs I have seen where this looks good plus it's a compromise to remove the peninsula entirely and expand the island. Kitchen is now L-shaped wth a large 7x5 island.

Fridge is subzero, sink is 33" Shaw, cabinets will be full overlay, and range will likely be 36" (note sink and range specs are wrong in layout as well as pantry orientation.) there won't be an appliance garage (axed that idea) and I will have to have a soffit along range wall. Also, the wall to the right of the range has been removed.

my question is since I have to keep a small soffit should I continue the upper along the range wall? I wanted a more clean, open look with sconces on each side of the range hood. Also, what style range hood and what material? I was leaning toward a plaster (or drywall) one to blend in with the wall but now I'm wondering if I should do uppers with a custom range hood? The kitchen opens to a family room and also has access to the backyard.

Comment (1)