SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davewilt

How close to 2cm are 2cm quartz slabs?

Dave Wilt
5 years ago

Funny question since the answer would appear to be in the name "2cm" yet here I am asking if some 2cm quartz slabs might actually be a few hundreths of an inch, or about 1mm, less than 2cm?

Context: Our custom walnut veneer cabinets were designed with the intent of installing 2cm countertops sitting directly on the cabinet box, no substrate. But our designer (me) forgot to translate the CAD program's 3/4" into cm. My cabinet maker took the designs literally (not blaming him) and built precisely 3/4" space for countertops. Any thicker and the quartz will block the opening of a top-hinged cabinet door that opens to the side over the countertop.

Technically 2cm = 0.787402 inches. If Caesarstone, Silestone, Cambria, MSI, Pental et al are all 0.787402 inches (or bigger) I will need to adjust cabinets. I think my options then would be to a) plane down the plywood walls and countertop supports by 1/32" b) shave bottoms of the 2 affected up-lift doors and apply new veneer on bottoms. I suppose it's theoretically possible to c) taper the countertops down -- maybe 1/32nd" over a span of about 12" wouldn't be noticeable -- but I'm guessing this would be the most expensive option of all.

None of these cabinet options are the end of the world (had my share of those elsewhere on this project) but a standard quartz slab @ 1.9cm would seem to be easiest solution. Or a time machine, if anyone has one of those.

Comments (3)