SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ifoco

Removal of Gaggenau BO 280, installing GE French Door Wall Oven

ifoco
8 years ago

I purchased a GE Monogram Single French door wall oven from a local appliance/plumbing store. It will be delivered next week some time. I would have been happy to pay installation costs but the opening needs to be reworked and installers don't do carpentry or tile work around here. I'm the tile setter, my husband is the electrician and carpenter.

First, the Gaggenau wall oven needs to be removed. Nowhere can I find what it weighs but the GE weighs 190 lbs. The bottom of the oven presently sits at 42.5" off the floor. In past times, my husband and I would have done that ourselves. Neither one of us is getting any younger and I am not allowed to lift more than 50 lbs since back surgery 3 yrs ago. Realistically, the two of us are not going to lift a 200 lb oven out and down and lifting the Ge up and in without injuring ourselves or damaging the oven.

I have been looking to either rent or purchase a piece of equipment to facilitate easy installation. At Home Depot Rentals they have enormous lifting equipment that are for commercial applications and would be hard to get into the kitchen. I found a scissor table at Northern tool (I believe it was called that) which is essentially a scissor jack with a platform. It would probably work but is limited by only lifting to 20". (the bottom of the oven sits at 42.5") If I move up to a larger model, it in itself becomes hard to manage getting it in and out of pick up etc. There must be an easier simpler and safe way to get one oven out, do the tile and carpentry work then hoist the other one up and install it in the opening. I know there are a lot of clever people on this forum who maybe have some good ideas. Perhaps I am too close to the situation and can's see a simple solution. Any ideas Please!

Thanks to all.

Inga

Comments (28)