Best Persimmon variety?

sheppartonJune 19, 2006

Been a fan of persimmons for a while and planted a "Fuyu" when non astringents became available. It seems to me that although it is sweet when hard, it loses out in a certain "something" in comparison to the old astringent varieties I remember when it goes soft. Incidentally, I love persimmons when they get to the "apricot jam" stage.

So, my question to all you aficionadoes out there is....

What do you think is the best ASTRINGENT variety available in Australia and clues on where to get it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shaxhome

Well, Shep (sorry to be so familiar!),
I'm no afficianado of the fruit, although I used to have a 3-wood in my golf bag made from persimmon timber, and as a child I remember climbing a neighbour's huge persimmon tree and chucking the fruit at passers-by from a great height....

Here's a site that probably has more information than you need...scroll down to "Varieties".
There is also a list of contacts at the end of the article.

Regards,

Shax

Here is a link that might be useful: Persimmons

Bookmark   July 4, 2006 at 3:38AM
spikekali

Hi I have 2 Fuyus about 12 years old and with lots of water and feeding produce the most beautiful crops...like an apricot apple when crisp and like apricot persimmon sweet jam when soft....only birds are a problem with the non astringent...gotta love them!!!!

Bookmark   August 1, 2006 at 10:53PM
laura_the_housewife

Shep, I am totally in agreement. The non-astringent is just not as good! Although - I remember as a kid being really really super -duper sure that it was perfectly ripe before I ate them so as to avoid that awful puckering from the astringent varieties. I can't even find those varieties in the store anymore now, so I'm going to follow shaxhome's advice too. Cheers

Bookmark   September 23, 2006 at 5:13AM
More Discussions
Please help with identification of this tree
Can anyone tell me what the name of this tree is? Thanks...
perotti_adl123
Adenia Heterophylla
Hi, I grew some adenia heterophylla (lacewing vine)...
OzBec
Help ID plant disease
Hi, I need help ID'ing this disease. It has spread...
simleal
Is this a weeping Leptospermum or Melaleuca? Suggestion
This is in Manly West, Brisbane. Sorry no flowers at...
blackbeantree
Eremophila species
While not indigenous to where I live on the s.e. slopes...
Woko
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™