SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sas95_gw

Cat advice: Companion kitty for senior cat?

sas95
10 days ago

As some of you may remember, I had to put one of my senior cats down around 6 weeks ago. He was 14.

My remaining cat, who is almost 15, has not been himself since. While they were not biological brothers, I had adopted them together as kittens and they were very bonded, doing most everything together. At first he stopped eating completely. I brought him to the vet, and there is nothing physically wrong with him to cause the lack of appetite. I have been using an anti-depressant/appetite stimulant when needed, and it has helped. He seems to be getting a bit better and the need for medication has been less frequent, but he still seems lonely, at least to me.

My question, for those who have gone through something like this with cats, is did you get another kitty companion for your remaining older cat? And if so, how did that work out? Part of me reads my own emotions into the situation, and I think I really need to get him a buddy. Another part of me fears that this might make things even more stressful for the cat. I really want to do the best thing for him, but I don't know what that is.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert