SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jose_salinas41

Need Help Choosing a Paint Color for Walls

Jose Salinas
25 days ago

Looking for advice on paint colors that can make this open space living room and kitchen less dark. I am not planning on replacing the tile. I am considering painting the cabinets but would depend on how the space looks after I paint the walls. thank you!!

Comments (41)

• jackowskib
    25 days ago

Perhaps explore soft taupe paint colors, or if interested in whites take a look at SW Shoji White (based on tile colors hard to tell). I wouldn't paint kitchen cabinets but save up to replace countertops and backsplash and add complimentary cabinet pulls/knobs. Best to bring sample paint sheets home to see in your light and with your white trim color going on.

• kandrewspa
    25 days ago

The floor is going to make finding the right color tricky, so look at a large range of whites/off whites to find one with the same undertone. I don't know whether the picture you posted is a true representation of the color, so I hesitate to recommend something specifically. Is it peachy or pinky? The wall color there now is not great, so you are right to be painting.

• Related Discussions

help I have many rooms I need to paint...need help choosing color

Q

Comments (2)
    hermustangs, if you'll read the "new to GW" thread below on this page (or if it's left this page by the time you read this, search for it) you'll find explicit instructions on how to post photos; very easy to do. I think you'll get many more responses if you include photos. I'm not good enough with colors personally to try to answer your questions without seeing the rooms. Good luck!
    ...See More

Need help choosing a PAINT COLOR for walls!

Q

Comments (35)
    How terrible, Mdln, and traumatic. I'm so, so sorry about your pets. I can see how such an event can make a usually enjoyable project emotionally challenging. If your house is an open plan then I think kwsl is right, that segueing color from room to room is an issue. But if it isn't, if you've got individual rooms, such as bedrooms, I think a fine option is to select colors based on how you want to feel when in each room. So library, warm and cozy and relaxed and maybe even intellectual! (lol), which is why I like the Weathersfield Moss. I love blue for bedrooms. Something about waking up in a blue room..maybe it's like the sky? Or the sea. Bright and cheery in laundry rooms, i.e.: working rooms, breakfast nooks…that sort of thing. I love saturated color in kitchens as well because they have so little wall area that it's a great opportunity to use bold color without overpowering….
    ...See More

Need help choosing a SW Paint wall color please. See Floor and stone

Q

Comments (15)
    We found that the Shitake really changed tone depending upon what it was surrounded by. I would suggest painting a large sample board and moving from place to place in your light and against your other materials. I found choosing paint colors the hardest part of building our home. You have to have a large sample and take to the actual place you want to paint it to see the light because it changes depending on where you are.
    ...See More

need to choose a wall to wall carpet for condo. need help with color.

Q

Comments (0)
    We need to choose wall to wall carpet for condo about 1,500 ft. We have an off white mid century couch that has shades of grey and beige, 2 black Rosewood Eames Chairs and 2 white/silver based small mid century round tables and a walnut colored midcentury round dining table with 4 matching chairs that have a royal blue cloth seat. Our bedroom has a walnut platform bed with 2 small walnut night tables. The Study has a cherry table top desk, Light grey desk chair, and black Swedish designed leather chair
    ...See More
  • la_la Girl
    25 days ago

^ agree! I wonder if priming first will help you choose the right color?

• Jose Salinas
    Original Author
    25 days ago

Thank you for all the replies. Exactly! Current wall color has to go. I would say the color of the tile in this photo is very close to actual look. I’m horrible with color but I see a pink in the floor tile. The backsplash tile to me looks more beige, I guess the poor lighting makes those pieces darker and mutes the underlying colors. Also there are big windows pointing southeast, so the room doesn’t get dark during the day but the light varies quite a bit as the sun moves. I do plan to replace the countertops with this update, I haven’t even started to think of what color countertop to go with. I really appreciate all the input, great idea to prime and then choose. I started with some samples and I noticed I was gravitating to colors that compliment current wall color since it’s hard to not see it.

• Jose Salinas
    Original Author
    25 days ago

Also I was leaning toward an off-white to get more light reflection. It might be too light on walls across from the windows, but I have dark corners in the tucked away kitchen and in the high ceilings.

• tracefloyd
    25 days ago
    last modified: 25 days ago

I agree about white walls. Then the floor tile won't look so washed out like it does now. And on my monitor it does have pink in it. Use beiges and wood tones in your decor that will go with the tile.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    25 days ago

Any color beige would be fine and an improvement. You probably want to do a full reno, so don’t waste time and money right now on anything other than paint. Better lighting will really help, but you want a full reno plan before spending a lot of money on lighting.

• Jose Salinas
    Original Author
    21 days ago

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I have narrowed it down to SW aesthetic white, BM pale oak and BM strand of pearls. I plan to paint some sample sections and decide from there.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    21 days ago

I would go with neutral warm white or off-white

Some visual

• PRO
    21 days ago

that would work with your kitchen as well

• Boxerpal
    21 days ago

I love all the colors you are thinking about but I worry that Pale Oak may read too gray if there is not enough external light. I love Strand of Pearls, it can have a trace of pink but this might work wonderfully with your brown cabinets and floors.

Get some samples and try them out and see which would marry those floors. And once you find the winner you might discover you do not need to change those kitchen cabinets.

if you check out Design D2 Haus has a great blog. My Best Talent Shows Strand of Pearls BM and it really looks great.

Another favorite color that you didn't mention but might consider is SW 6126 NAVAJO WHITE

Open Plan Kitchen · More Info

• PRO
    20 days ago

May be Classic gray instead Pale oak would work better?

• Jose Salinas
    Original Author
    20 days ago

Pale oak definitely read too gray and dull. Great advice! Strand of pearls above it looks like it works but after seeing those by pics of a neutral warm white, I’m thinking maybe I should go more neutral. Thank you all!

• jackowskib
    20 days ago

If you’re still planning to replace countertops and backsplash, I would do that first before final paint selection. If budget allows, include changing fireplace tile.

• reginagayle
    19 days ago

I agree with jackowskib--decide on your countertops and backsplash BEFORE you pick a wall color. I'm no professional, but read somewhere that when decorating, decide on materials in order from the ground up: floors (wood, tile, carpet, etc.), then surfaces (countertops, etc.), next are furnishings (cabinets, sofas, chairs, tables, etc.), then lighting fixtures (metals, painted, etc.) & window coverings (fabrics, etc.) and LAST is paint. The logic is that there are so many variations of paint colors, that when you finally get to the wall color you are more likely to pick the "right" one that compliments the various other colors in the room. When I used this method, it made it much easier to make decisions: In our sun room addition, I chose flooring and then an area rug (I used to choose the rug last--and never could find one that coordinated with the style and/or other colors in a room!); then teak table & chairs, end tables; next was upholstery on sofa and chairs (from the colors in the rug); 7 fabric roll-up window shades (brown to compliment a color in the rug and the wood furniture); and finally a very light beige (no pink tones!) paint. It's all 10 years old now, and I've had no regrets of the choices made. Good luck!

• deb
    19 days ago

I agree on choosing countertops first...even if you decide to put them in later.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    19 days ago

That’s nuts to choose countertops now when a full kitchen reno is not being considered, and you choose countertops along with everything else. Paint is cheap and so easy to change, and it would be silly to base a paint color on countertops that are not present. Get what looks good now, and years down the road, it can be changed if/when a new kitchen is installed.

• Boxerpal
    19 days ago

Oh Dear...

I must have missed that you are getting new countertops. I was thinking you were looking for paint for your current space. I think you need to find the right stone countertops before trying 100s of paint samples. Paint is cheap but painting takes a long tedious time. Start with your new counters and then find the perfect paint for those counters, cabs and floors. Wishing you luck on this project.

• arvilla_trag
    19 days ago

First, I would suggest refacing the cabinets if your budget allows. Getting them totally free of grease from cooking fumes will be extremely difficult and if you are not successful with it will result in your paint job having unattractive issues. Additionally, there are more little nooks and crannies to paint on cabinets than it looks like - until you are doing it.

For the walls, it seems like you do not have a lot of natural light in this kitchen, so I would go with a semi-gloss paint in a light shade to reflect available light. For the rest of the area in your photos, I would go with a golden cream color, such as Fioloi Lace. It will work with your tile and gives a very warm, comforting feeling to a room.

• hollywaterfall
    19 days ago

Regardless of whether you reno the cabinets and countertops, I agree with new lighting. THAT will make a ton of difference to your space. On my screen everything reads a bit 70's avacado green and has yellow tones to it. I think in order to brighten it up you should go cool bluish tones. Not gray but a cool white.

• Sandy Michaels
    19 days ago

The entire interior of my home is painted INTERIOR EGGSHELL ENAMEL Swiss Coffee by BEHR. Then I was able to decorate with anything I wanted. It just feels so open and bright and clean.

• Elizabeth Ann
    19 days ago

You are on the right track lightening the color of the walls. Have you made a final decision about which elements you’ll update and which ones will remain the same in this go-round? If you plan to do wall-color-plus-counters, you might get your best results by asking for advice about both at the same time.

• Jose Salinas
    Original Author
    19 days ago

Thank you for all this info everyone. I’m realizing I should have mentioned that this is a house I was previously renting. Over the years a couple of things have happened, 1) a tenant repainted the some walls to bright yellows (I was okay with it because it was a long term tenant and I knew I was due for a repainting soon) 2) the house has become very dated and perspective tenants have expressed this (poor warm lighting, beige/pink/taupe tiles, and a laminate counter top). This area of town demands some updates but not all out. I have seen rentals keep the tile floor and update to quartz countertops and new light fixtures. I plan to do the same. Not planning to replace the backsplash if I could find a countertop that does well with it. Also not redoing the floors. I agree I should start with the countertop and then pick the paints, I was getting ahead of myself since I had some free time to do the painting myself this month. Also I figured an off white would play into a broader range of countertops. But having sampled a few paints I think I need to start with the countertops.

Here is the last set of samples (cloud white to the left and aesthetic white to the right). I personally liked aesthetic white but I’m afraid it would leave the kitchen corners too dark since LRV is 73. But once again, I haven’t replaced the lighting yet and I should probably do that first.

• Jose Salinas
    Original Author
    19 days ago

Only the top edge of the fireplace is painted. And looks like I missed a good amount in the middle on the cloud white side (left).

• tracefloyd
    19 days ago

On my screen the cloud white looks too yellow and the aesthetic white too purple.

• jo mu
    19 days ago

Try linen white from behr I believe it's the color we used on a place with the 80s pinky biege tiles it's creamy so it goes well

• calidesign
    19 days ago

Try a sample of SW Shoji White. It's slightly lighter than Asthetic White, and is a great nuetral color. It doesn't have any undertones of yellow or pink and should look great next to your cabinets and tile. It would allow you to decorate with whatever colors you like while still giving you a bit of warmth on the walls unlike a stark white.

• Jane Hyatt
    19 days ago

Are you keeping the apartment as a rental? If so, a neutral wall paint color that blends with the counters and backsplash you have. A new light fixture refreshes the room.

• Boxerpal
    19 days ago

I like the aesthetic white. It looks lovely. Once you change the bulbs to the brightest you can find I think this could work nicely.

A great past post from years ago about a kitchen looking yellow when it was just the lights in the space.

White cabinets look yellow

• housegal200
    19 days ago

Pull out the light cream out of those splotches on the tiles, and the room will be much brighter. Then see how the dark cabinets look before you do anything else. Are they in good shape?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    19 days ago

Since you are keeping flooring, work with it. Try SW Creamy for walls. Then you can use a beautiful stone for your countertops. I love Taj Mahal. It can go cool or warm. Just have to hunt a bit for the perfect slabs. Try using Allinonepaint for your cabinets. A taupe color with brushed gold hardware would make a striking but calm color palette. I will put an Idea board together for you. Bbl

• jo mu
    19 days ago

Paint the white trim with the same off white you end up picking don't leave it that stark white it will always make that pink biege tile look dull and make your creamy off white walls look too yellow

when the trim is simple economical like that I think it's best to blend it with the wall color especially if wall color is whiteish

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    19 days ago

I tried another lighter color and I like it better. SW Greek Villa. Of course, select slab for countertop first. Here is idea board. I added Olivewood cutting board to keep look warm and inviting.

• PRO
    lisedv
    18 days ago

I agree that a warm white is the way to go. For your kitchen, I would keep the wood cabinets but replace the backsplash for a white subway tile and white countertop. If quartz isn't in your budget, there are some very nice white laminates to choose from. Hardware on your cabinets would also be a plus. Here's an inspiration picture...

• HouseofGodsmith
    18 days ago

For sampling paint, please don't slap some on the wall. The other colors will skew the result. Use poster board placed close to the floor and other fixed elements like cabinets, etc.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    18 days ago

Get samples of paint from www.samplize.com for best results.

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    18 days ago

Are you keeping the counter tops? can you post an up close photo of it..and is the backsplash tile the same as the floor tile? need up close image of that too..🤗

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    18 days ago

Work with your beige with pink undertones that is in the flooring and backsplash..love this warm soothing color pallette…I would consider painting the cabinets first..and than decide on wall color.

• Halle Peck
    10 days ago

This pink beige works beautifully with dark taupe wood furniture. The accent colors I would choose for pillows, lamps, flowers are fucia and lime. To me, this light and dark combination, reminds me of Coco, Chanel‘s pink and black signature wardrobe color combo.
    It’s the new black-and-white alternative!