Pros and Cons of Switching from Gas to Induction Cooking
10 days ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (19)
Related Discussions
Pros and cons of my GE induction range
Comments (16)My computer has a mind of its own and hasn't been working lately. All comments are interesting. Thanks Laat for the info about getting rid of the blue! Stirfry, I guess you could say that the issues are with the pots and pans and not the range, but the range is made to work with only certain ones. I have a set of excellent waterless stainless cookware that I love and will last forever. All of it works except the large skillet which is an item I used a lot. So I needed a large skillet and a small nonstick one just for the occaisional eggs etc. I just didn't want to spend $100 when I already have quality cookware I love. I might need to though. Diane...I have used my four sizes of Corningware on the range top for 40 years...didn't know the new stuff couldn't be used that way. I hate making spaghetti sauce in a pan and then having to dump it into another container. No matter how hard I try, it splashes and its hard to get out. So, I make a lot of things in the corning casseroles. Its so convenient to cook and store and reheat in the same item. I did spring for a large cast iron pan and it doesn't buzz and cooks great, but too large to store food in in the frig. For me it is a matter of does the excellent clean up and the fast cooking outweigh the other stuff. And, by the way, it is fast, but ok....it boils a large pan of water in 8 minutes instead of 10. I'm just saying. :-)...See MoreAny Regrets Over Switching from Gas to Induction?
Comments (5)Do check out that thread. The actual title is "Does Anyone Here Who Went Induction Regret Your Choice?" It is a long thread but you'll find that nobody there who actually bought an induction appliance had any regrets about switching from gas. Except a couple of people mentioned missed warming their hands while heating a teakettle over gas flames on cold winter mornings. Also, check out this earlier thread about anyone who switched wishing they had not switched from gas to induction. http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg0119362827237.html When you say you are considering switching to an "induction cooktop," did you mean you are looking for a range with induction burners or did you mean that you are thinking about getting a drop-in cooktop and separate ovens? If you are looking for a range, I'll offer a point for you to consider. The pro-style cooktop on your old Viking, with widely spaced burners and a thin backsplash/vent at the back, offers the convenience of running four large pots and pans at the same time. The stovetop space on most induction ranges is more constrained with slightly narrower (i.e., industry standard) burner spacing and a thick backsplash/vent/rear control panel. You might think that the GE and Electrolux/Kenmore slide-in models (the only ones currently available) would offer more room because they do not have the thick backsplash. However, it turns out that their glass cooking surfaces are actually a bit less deep than on the freestanding versions. If you do not regularly use four large pots together --- for example, two 12" skillets and two 12" diameter stock pots --- then this will be a matter of indifference to you. If you want an induction with the room of a pro-style stovetop, there seem to be only two current induction range choices. The $5k Dacor Rennaisance induction range looks to be a lot of money for not very much stove. However, the Viking induction range is pretty well thought of despite its $7k price tag and Viking's otherwise rather dim reputation for high product defect rates. If the the Viking induction range seems interesting, have a look at the thread stated by brad (aka luv2putt) to which I've linked below. There is also discussion there about swtiching from gas to induction. Also, Brad has offered to respond to direct questions from folks interested in the VIking. If you are looking for a separate drop-in-cooktop and wall ovens, never mind. Here is a link that might be useful: Racing red induction. This post was edited by JWVideo on Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 12:11...See MoreInduction Ranges. Pros and cons
Comments (19)I've had two induction ranges. I bought the first in 2010. It was an Electrolux. The cooktop was awesome when it worked. It burned through computers, but when we finally got them fixed, I had no issues. It was a dual oven, but the bottom oven was basically a warmer. We recently moved, and I could not take the Electrolux with me. I bought a GE Profile. We have a large family, and I liked that the near right burner was very large. The cooktop only has 10 or 11 steps to it compared to my Electrolux, which had many more. I miss the half steps, though I have managed to make a hollandaise sauce, so at least it does ok. The stove, however, on the GE is not great. It's at least 40 degrees cool, and GE says that is within range. The fan has burned out twice. We've only had it 10 months. I've called service multiple times, and they always come out and are friendly. I use cast iron and enameled cast iron on my stovetop all of the time. I have used with and without a paper towel. I don't find that it scratches. As long as you do not move your pan, it won't scratch. Regarding boiling over - our Profile does not have a lip around the edge of the cooktop. I have never had it boil over. As soon as I notice something getting too hot, I turn the temp down. With induction, the temp goes down immediately, so it should not overboil. Were I to purchase a new induction range today, I would look at the GE cafe or the Bosch. We only have a 40 amp circuit for our range, so that would be a consideration. I still don't think I would go back to gas, but purchasing an induction with more than 10 steps for heating would be more important to me than it was when I was looking to replace our Electrolux....See MoreInduction range pros and cons?
Comments (23)My gas range will light with a match and therefore will work during power outages. We also have camping equipment in the garage and can cook on a portable propane burner, if necessary. I have a single induction burner, which I like to use with my pressure cooker, but I would never want to switch to all induction after trying it. I think the best solution is to have both, if possible. Personally, I do not like the way induction ranges look, and I do have a lot of cookware that will not work with induction. Also, I often use the gas flame for heating tortillas or grilling peppers. I also have a wok that I like using that would not work at all on induction and I tend to move pans around on the stove top a lot. Anyway, I would never give up gas, which is why I think having both is the best solution. My mother had an electric range, which I thought was the worst, and I could never tell which burner was on and often I could not tell when a burner was on at low temperature....See More- 10 days ago
- 9 days ago
- 8 days ago
- 8 days ago
- 7 hours ago
Related Stories

KITCHEN LAYOUTSThe Pros and Cons of 3 Popular Kitchen Layouts
U-shaped, L-shaped or galley? Find out which is best for you and why
Full Story
KITCHEN ISLANDSThe Pros and Cons of Kitchen Islands
Two designers make the case for when adding a kitchen island is a good idea — and when it’s not
Full Story
MOST POPULARPros and Cons of 5 Popular Kitchen Flooring Materials
Which kitchen flooring is right for you? An expert gives us the rundown
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOMEThe Pros and Cons of Making Your Bed Every Day
Houzz readers around the world share their preferences, while sleep and housekeeping experts weigh in with advice
Full Story
LIGHTINGThe Pros and Cons of Recessed Lighting
A lighting designer shares three things recessed lights do well and three things to watch out for
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESFrom the Pros: 8 Reasons Kitchen Renovations Go Over Budget
We asked kitchen designers to tell us the most common budget-busters they see
Full Story
KITCHEN CABINETSKitchen Confidential: The Pros and Cons of Double Stacked Cabinets
Does it make sense for you to double up on cabinets? Find out here
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNA Cook’s 6 Tips for Buying Kitchen Appliances
An avid home chef answers tricky questions about choosing the right oven, stovetop, vent hood and more
Full Story
OUTDOOR KITCHENSYour Guide to Grills and More for Great Outdoor Cooking
Learn the pros and cons of gas versus charcoal grills, and about neat add-ons that let you do more
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDES12 Design Features Pros Say Homeowners Are Asking For Now
What people want from their homes has changed since the pandemic, these design and building professionals say
Full Story
porkchop_z5b_MI