Who's my favourite author?
2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (24)
- 2 months agolast modified: 2 months ago
- 2 months ago
Related Discussions
My Favourite Invasive Weeds
Comments (44)Bindweed is nasty and makes my blood boil. As a farmer I have become very dissatisfied with all the chemicals we use and even then we do not eradicate, only temporarily control. There should be holistic, natural ways to deal with this. Older farmers tell me they used salt to sterilize the soil. Chemicals can sterilize and do this. Of course we want to grow things, not kill them and look at bare ground. I also seen a study that said copper could do this. I would like to put some copper or salt 2 foot down into the soil through a pipe to see if that would work. This is where the roots could absorb this. Do roots need a surfactant like we use when we spray the leaves with chemicals? We have to kill the roots. Any suggestions? Desperate farmer...See MoreOh No!!! My favourite author just died!!!
Comments (18)As much as we enjoyed the Robert Parker books, I refused to buy them after I realized that we were reading them in about 2 hours. They were great big books printed on the thickest paper with the largest margins and very few words per page. We used to joke about how fast we would read them. "Honey, could you flip the steak now?" "Sure, just let me read this Spenser book first." lol My irreverent husband wondered if his obituary would be written like that, too. All that aside, I'm sorry Robert Parker died, he wasn't very old and I'm sure his family will miss him terribly. We did enjoy his books and the TV show with Robert Urich, he was the perfect Spenser. I recommend reading his books in the order that they were written in, when possible. They do have a progression of characters and story lines that might be helpful. (And I have to agree about the Susan Silverman eating habits and Jesse Stone's tortured love life.... I got kind of tired of both of those.)...See MoreMy favourite books on Tropicals
Comments (2)The Tropical Look by Robert Lee Riffle is superb. It is on sale at the moment here in one of the inner city Brisbane stores....See MoreI met the author of my favorite book!
Comments (14)That's so neat, Sarah_Canary! I love hearing authors read from their books and admiring them from afar. But like Rosefolly, I invariably become starstruck and babble incoherently. Recently, I was able to go to the American Library Association conference in Anaheim. Three of my favorite authors were there. Leif Enger was signing So Brave, Young and Handsome which I really enjoyed, though not as much as Peace Like a River. Sadly, no one else was in line to get his autograph (he was up against Greg Mortenson--Karalk's fave). I think I blubbered something about admiring him the way I admired Kent Haruf. Ron Carlson was signing Five Skies and we had an interesting conversation about food--and the fact that one of the main characters in his book was named after him. Finally--and here's my most embarrassing moment--Sherman Alexie was signing The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. I waited in line for a while and when I got up to him all I could say was "I love you." How stupid and embarrassing! I was already embarrassed because I feel like I am the exact wrong audience for his books (what business do I have as a middle-class WASP relating so heavily to his books--he should hate me!). Luckily he was very gracious and just said "Thank You." Then, he noticed from my name badge that I was from Whittier and commented, somewhat ironically, on the fact that I share my hometown with President Nixon. I just blushed and thanked him for signing my book. He was such a nice guy!...See More- 2 months agolast modified: 2 months ago
- 2 months ago
- 2 months ago
- 2 months ago
- 2 months ago
- 2 months ago
- 2 months ago
- 2 months ago
- 2 months ago
- 2 months ago
- 2 months ago
- 2 months agolast modified: 2 months ago
- 2 months ago
- 2 months agolast modified: 2 months ago
- 2 months agolast modified: 2 months ago
- 2 months ago
- 2 months agolast modified: 2 months ago
- 2 months ago
- 2 months agolast modified: 2 months ago
- 2 months ago
- 2 months ago
Related Stories

WORLD OF DESIGNA Visit to ‘Out of Africa’ Author’s Stunning Danish Manor
We tour Karen Blixen’s home and take a peek at her life, style and Christmas traditions
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOMEGuys Tell Us About Their Favorite Places at Home
For Father’s Day, Houzz men show us the places in their homes where they like to hang out
Full Story
TURQUOISEFavorite Color Combinations: Turquoise and Red
Give your interiors added brilliance and fun with this bright color pairing in your accessories and design
Full Story
GRAYDesigners Share Their Favorite Light Gray Paints
These versatile neutrals can help create a range of moods in any room
Full Story
KITCHEN ISLANDSHow to Make Your Kitchen Island Your Favorite Dining Spot
Use these tricks to create extra space for prepping and eating meals
Full Story
HOMES AROUND THE WORLDMy Houzz: Author Makes Her Home in a Quiet Corner of Hertfordshire
British novelist Freya North refreshes a dated bungalow to create an idyllic country home for her family
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSMy Houzz: See How a Garden Author Brings Nature to the City
Garden designer and author Baylor Chapman shows her love of nature in her San Francisco apartment and deck
Full Story
ORGANIZING‘Tidying Up’ Author Marie Kondo Tells How to ‘Spark Joy’ at Home
A new book from the author of ‘The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up’ delves deeper into her KonMari Method of decluttering and organizing
Full Story
RANCH HOMESSee the Estate That Drove Jack London to Write
In honor of the ‘Call of the Wild’ author’s birthday January 12, we tour the reason he wrote all those books
Full Story
HOMES AROUND THE WORLDWorld of Design: 11 Book Lovers and Where They Like to Read
Bibliophiles across the globe reveal their top books and favorite reading spots, from a 2-story library to an artfully curated book nook
Full Story
foodonastump