What's for Dinner #424, Fall/Winter 2025
10 months ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (104)
- 10 months agolast modified: 10 months ago
- 10 months ago
Related Discussions
What are you growing indoors this fall/winter?
Comments (2)I too only bring in my rosemary. I've tried basil, parsley, and thyme too. Basil has usually made it to about Dec. before the attack of the white flies occurs, thyme usually just dies a slow lingering death, the one year I tried it the parsley did fairly well but needed a pretty large pot....See MoreWhat’s for Dinner #408 Late Fall 2023
Comments (97)No interesting cooking for people over here, but I’ve been cooking tasty food for dogs :-) We’re in Berkeley taking care of our friends’ very elderly and reportedly on his last legs little dog. I am, of course, determined that he will not expire on my watch, and when he eats enthusiastically I feel better. So, what to feed him? The base is a tasty homemade chicken stock, made from a roasted chicken, carrots, celery, onion - just like you’d make a chicken stock for yourself. We cook a batch of rice with that stock. Other chicken is browned then simmered, and minced up. His kibble is soaked in more stock. Then some more cooked chicken and carrots get pureed with stock into a sort of gravy-paste. Rice, kibble, and gravy are mixed, then briefly warmed in the microwave. Finally, crisp bacon is crumbled on top. I am pleased to say that Elderly Dog positively gobbles his food, cleaning his bowl reliably enough that I can give him his pills crushed in the food. I’d happily eat it myself, actually, except that there’s no salt or spice. Well, I don’t really like kibble. All the fixings are in stored in Tupperware so feeding doesn’t take long....See MoreWhat's for Dinner #413 Fall/Winter/holidays 2024
Comments (106)Jasdip, I knew we were alike, LOL, although I'm past the dancing in public stage I think! Oh, the mashed potatoes look delicious too. Neely, the tart looks very interesting, I would not have thought to mix pineapple and apple but it sounds good PM, I didn't make turkey spaghetti, but I did make peanut butter chicken: Also nicely medium burgers one day along with some baked beans: I roasted a sirloin tip very rare, and had it with white sweet potatoes and some diced golden beets. Sorry Neely, it seems that I ate all the red ones first and all that are left are these. We made sandwiches a couple of days later with horseradish mayo and some sweet and sour cole slaw: The two monsters really enjoyed the rare beef too, begging for bites. Elery's cat promptly took a nap on his lap: Mine took a nap in a spare box. He sleeps in them until they collapse and then we have to find him a new one. THat's not always easy, he weighs 27 pounds! Last night we had bean soup and tonight we had enchiladas and I didn't remember to take a picture of either one. Maybe tomorrow night, when we have leftovers, LOL. Annie...See MoreWhat's for Dinner Summer part deux 2025 #422
Comments (110)Oh man, I'm behind again. I really love John's yogurt bottle, though, LOL. I've been super busy here, mostly with gardening. I've made my way through a bushel of poblano peppers, all of a sudden they were happy. I took a half bushel to the food pantry, gave a 5 gallon bucket to the neighbor and then began roasting/peeling/freezing for future chilies rellenos. Also got a bushel of mixed Anaheim and Pasilla and dried about half of those, then put a tray of chopped red habaneros in the freezer for future Habanero Gold Jelly. I've canned tomato sauce and salsa and catsup and Sharon's chile sauce and I'm officially over tomatoes, even though I still have this in the backyard. Again, no takers so they will go to the food pantry. So many people here have their own gardens and fruit trees and by the end of the summer everyone has garden burnout, I guess. I've also been wading my way through the peaches, Elery and I picked 3 bushels before we both gave up and said the rest could fall on the ground. I tried hard to give them away, peaches are $60 a bushel here, but they are clingstones and no one wants to mess with them, so no takers. I froze 18 quarts, made some peach butter and peach cobbler and peach crumble bars and I'm almost done with them. In the meantime, I have actually been cooking. I made black bean sheet pan tacos last night along with queso fundido: Tonight it was country style pork ribs with roasted golden beets and kale from the garden. The Princess was home and came for breakfast and she wanted crepes with cream cheese filling and blueberry topping, and it was so. She is the Princess after all. I made burgers with our homegrown beef and roasted potatoes with fingerlings from the garden as well as a salad with everything I could find that was still crunchy in the fridge: Chicken gyros which were just OK: A chilies relleno casserole which I wasn't optimistic about but it turned out to be really good: Bratwurst with potatoes from the garden, homemade sauerkraut and some cheese bread from a small local bakery: I made apple sauce and apple butter with some MacIntosh apples I got from a neighbor in exchange for some of my Red Delicious. They were very dark red and even were red in the center and they made awesome sauce and apple butter. I've never seen Macs go red inside, though. And, since we got our first frost a couple of days ago, I also had a bucket of sweet peppers to use, we picked them all before they froze. I dehydrated two quarts of them and put 24 in the freezer for future stuffed peppers: My next project? Cutting an 18 pound cushaw into bakable pieces, then packaging the puree for pies. They have become a favorite with several family members, and I only planted one plant. I got 3 squash, one was chewed by something, we got this one and one more about half this size. I'm sure I won't need any more, that should be about 20 pies, LOL. The garden is winding down, I still have to deal with the kale and have 3 tubs of leeks in the garage that need to be dehydrated. It's cooling off and although we are officially in drought conditions it seems better than when it was 90F for far too many days. I'll be planting garlic in the next couple of weeks, a sure sign of fall. Annie...See More- 10 months ago
- 10 months ago
- 10 months ago
- 10 months ago
- 10 months ago
- 10 months ago
- 10 months agolast modified: 10 months ago
- 10 months ago
- 10 months ago
- 10 months ago
- 10 months ago
- 10 months ago
- 10 months ago
- 10 months agolast modified: 10 months ago
- 9 months ago
- 9 months ago
- 9 months agolast modified: 9 months ago
- 9 months agolast modified: 9 months ago
- 9 months agolast modified: 9 months ago
- 9 months agolast modified: 9 months ago
- 9 months agolast modified: 9 months ago
- 9 months ago
- 9 months agolast modified: 9 months ago
- 9 months ago
- 9 months ago
- 9 months ago
- 9 months ago
- 9 months ago
- 9 months ago
- 9 months ago
- 9 months agolast modified: 9 months ago
- 9 months ago
- 9 months agolast modified: 9 months ago
- 9 months agolast modified: 9 months ago
- 9 months agolast modified: 9 months ago
- 9 months ago
- 9 months ago
- 9 months ago
- 9 months ago
- 9 months agolast modified: 9 months ago
- 9 months ago
- 9 months ago
- 9 months ago
- 9 months ago
- 9 months ago
- 9 months ago
- 9 months agolast modified: 9 months ago
- 9 months ago
Related Stories

KITCHEN DESIGNA Cook’s 6 Tips for Buying Kitchen Appliances
An avid home chef answers tricky questions about choosing the right oven, stovetop, vent hood and more
Full Story
LIFE6 Ways to Make the Most of This Weekend
Prepare for rain (or fire), get cozy indoors and out, and get your TV room ready for the first game of the World Series
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDES10 Popular Home Design Trends — Timely or Timeless?
Weigh in on whether these of-the-moment decorating elements will have staying power or become a memory of these times
Full Story
BATHROOM DESIGN14 Bathroom Design Ideas Expected to Be Big in 2015
Award-winning designers reveal the bathroom features they believe will emerge or stay strong in the years ahead
Full Story
THE POLITE HOUSEThe Polite House: Can I Put a Remodel Project on Our Wedding Registry?
Find out how to ask guests for less traditional wedding gifts
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESDecorating 101: How to Start a Decorating Project
Before you grab that first paint chip, figure out your needs, your decorating style and what to get rid of
Full Story
SAVING WATER11 Ways to Save Water at Home
Whether you live in a drought-stricken area or just want to help preserve a precious resource, here are things you can do to use less water
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGDecluttering Guru: What to Do With 8 Harder-to-Donate Items
These items need not end up in the trash. Here’s where to take or sell your unwanted stuff
Full Story









































annie1992