What's for Dinner #420 Spring/Summer 2025
last year
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (104)
- last year
- last year
Related Discussions
What's for Dinner #401, Spring/Summer 2022
Comments (105)Happy birthday!. Mine was the 15th. I'm sure we had a nice meal but i've forgotten. Most likely seafood. Pasta looks great. Hick-ups in loading on here. My issue is having to log in every time. You will like the silicone lids Annie. Super for little hands if a snack is prepped ahead or for opened salsa in the fridge. I use reverse osmosis water filters and keep jars in the fridge so not much ice is needed. I could use a few more 4 oz and six ounce jars. Making some fruit salads with yogurt and layered chia pudding. Blueberries are good this year. Just put in three more plants. Mine are 15+years old. I made my version of Greek lemon Chicken. Head start quartered steak potatoes. Lots of lemon with 6 small boneless skinless chicken thighs. After 1/2 hour i piled on olives, cherry tomatoes, baby artichoke hearts, tucked in big cubes of fetta and back in the oven for 20 to roast. Usually a Fall/Winter dish so seemed a bit heavy. Made chicken salad lunches but so much left-over we had it again but with thin sliced massaged greens and some pasta. So much better with lots of veg....See MoreWhat's for Dinner #410 Spring 2024
Comments (101)Neely, I'd be a little sad about selling your vacation home too, those are usually just associated with vacations and family events and mostly good things. Life changes, though, so I hope whatever happens works out well for you and your family. I don't know what is happening there with you but here real estate is selling like crazy in spite of the interest rate increases and the big price hikes, I'm not sure why. I'd need some rice for that nice saucy korma, though! Sleevendog, I need to stock up on flours and things too, I"ve been diligently working to use up or discard old/outdated items or those that have just deteriorated in quality enough that they need replacement. But it's gardening time, and I'm busy babying my little plants, fertilizing asparagus, pruning grapevines and spraying fruit trees for fungus with our weird weather. Anyway, Elery likes Mexican food a lot and we are surrounded by farms and orchards, so a lot of Hispanic workers come seasonally and many more stay year round. Authentic (and cheap) grocery stores are plentiful, although there are just as many that are neither cheap nor authentic, so those have to be weeded out, usually by a bad experience! Lobster rolls sound good, but I'm driving our neighbor to a nearby town as her car is out of service. She says she'll take me to dinner, there's a local pizza joint that is known for their breadsticks and she loves them. So, it'll probably be soup and breadsticks. Annie...See MoreWhat’s for Dinner #411 Late Spring 2024
Comments (80)DH visited our friend at the fishing village again and brought home fresh, fresh fish again. We had it with salad and asparagus and a sauce made from the butter and oil in the pan and lemon juice, salt and pepper… easy and tasty. The asparagus has a story to it in as much as I was in a hurry, saw it in the store, grabbed a bunch, vaguely thinking that the new asparagus from our northern regions must be coming in. When I got home I saw it was from Mexico??? So much for being careful about food miles. Ridiculous. Anyway it tasted OK. I’m trying to sort out better lighting for my winter photos, it’s quite dark at 5pm atm. The dining area still has the old halogen down lights because there was an issue with the dimmer when we switched to LED years ago… the halogen gives quite a yellow light, which annoys me… Not that it matters really....See More2025 summer update (mostly new conifers).
Comments (9)That and bottom line is, you grow what will grow at your place. And it's difficult to know exactly what those items are. So many variables and departures from 'normal' in each area and it's different every season imo. I have the nootka in the most wind protected spot that I have, but that spot is also the most open to both direct and snow reflected sun and boy, do we get sunny weather at this location, months of it some years. Talking about a zone 5 plant like the Thuja p., it's protected fully from wind and if we have big snows that last all winter, it could be fine for several years. The last two winters were -18 and -27 respectively for lowest temperatures for its first winter season was -27 but it was snow protected until spring. Came back fine. Not sure about the hemlocks. This time of year, the sun angle is about the same as we get mid-April. So, judging from what I'm seeing, I needed about 4-5 ft. of growth this season on the red pine, before they would cast a full shadow on the State Champ Tsuga area, until middle of April, which is generally ground thaw by then. In reality, the ponderosa pine grew about 2ft. and the other pines about a 1-1/2'. A little surprising since we had good early rains this spring and summer. ;-? So, guess who'll be setting up the sunshade on that hemlock again this Fall? The other Tsuga c. from out east, is much more protected so close to the big red pine, larix and shed and tbh, I think I'll get by with minimum protection, maybe none, for that one (But I'm prepared for anything). ;-) The small trees are easy. A chicken wire surround and a piece of burlap, takes care of the hard winds and sun, it even might catch some snow for protection. So, what will be will be. The lowest temperatures will be the real culprit. I'll first see what I lose, if anything and decide then what I might or might not replace it with. One thing is for sure; it will be a busy month in September with all the winter preparations there are to do in my yard, so as long as my health endures, guess who'll be out there working away at it? I'll keep in touch. ;^)...See More- last year
- last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
Related Stories

KITCHEN DESIGNA Cook’s 6 Tips for Buying Kitchen Appliances
An avid home chef answers tricky questions about choosing the right oven, stovetop, vent hood and more
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGDecluttering Guru: What to Do With 8 Harder-to-Donate Items
These items need not end up in the trash. Here’s where to take or sell your unwanted stuff
Full Story
THE POLITE HOUSEThe Polite House: Can I Put a Remodel Project on Our Wedding Registry?
Find out how to ask guests for less traditional wedding gifts
Full Story
SAVING WATER11 Ways to Save Water at Home
Whether you live in a drought-stricken area or just want to help preserve a precious resource, here are things you can do to use less water
Full Story
KITCHEN STORAGEWhere to Stash the Stand Mixer in Your Kitchen
Stand mixers aren’t huge, but they’re heavy. See storage ideas for keeping them accessible and easy to use
Full Story
LIFE6 Ways to Make the Most of This Weekend
Prepare for rain (or fire), get cozy indoors and out, and get your TV room ready for the first game of the World Series
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNStandouts From the 2014 Kitchen & Bath Industry Show
Check out the latest and greatest in sinks, ovens, countertop materials and more
Full Story
BATHROOM DESIGN14 Bathroom Design Ideas Expected to Be Big in 2015
Award-winning designers reveal the bathroom features they believe will emerge or stay strong in the years ahead
Full Story
LATEST NEWS FOR PROFESSIONALS8 Design Trends Emerging in 2026
Houzz search data shows homeowners are drawn to tactile textures, nostalgic spaces and other trends on the rise now
Full Story





























































































floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK